Saniflo Gurgling Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a sanifo sanislim (I think) in our bathroom.
W/C, sink one side and shower the other side.

ALthough it works recently I've noticed 2 things:
1. On flushing toilet there is a gurgling noise in the shower trap
2. It seems to run for longer on flushing the toilet

My suspicion is the one-way valve where the shower inlet is isnt closing properly. So when the toilet flushes some of the water comes up the shower trap.

I guess it is possible that the outlet is blocked, and the increase in pressure there forces water up the shower trap.

Can someone confirm it is likely to be the former?

And if so:
a) Where can i get hold of a spare valve, or is it likely to just need a clean
b) Is it an easy/obvious job to change it?

Are there any pics/videos anyone can link to showing this valve?

I'm fairly happy taking the macerator to bits, but would like to remove/clean/replace in one go hence asking in advance what I'm likely to find before taking it apart.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Best invention ever.

Caught more wives cheating and daughters messing about than anyone!

They work usually with out fault until someone starts flushing, wet wipes, paper towels, tampons, cotton buds, sanitary towels/pads etc.

It's when condoms are found when there is no need for them, that bells start ringing.

Sponsored Links
In fairness it hasn't skipped a beat in 5 years, and without it we wouldn't have an ensuite.

It only gets used for number 1s and everyone is trained not to to chuck stuff down it.

Sounds like a seal is jammed or something similar. All I am after is a bit of advice so I can make plans to repair it.
It would also be useful to know how much water will be left in the unit and the vertical outlet before I start unplugged pipes, and also where I can get spares quickly.
If somebody wants to be even more helpful and assist in diagnosis of the likely issue then all the better.

Last edited:
They're wonderful things when you can't get a proper normal waste pipe fitted. We have a Sanislim in our downstairs bog. Had it around 12 years now. Broke down once about 5 years ago so rather than mess about with it, for around £300 I just fitted a new one. It's boxed in behind a panel with plenty of sound insulation around it and works very well. Mind you, we only have the toilet and hand basin going into it, no shower so no hair to get trapped inside and block up. They recommend it's cleaned out with special stuff twice a year - I suppose that dissolves any hair etc that has built up but I've only ever done that twice as it's not used that much and Mrs Motman has decreed that no number twos shall be passed in it (yer, right!). Anyway, she doesn't trust it so only uses it now and then. Generally, it's my domain. Our one is off the hall in the front of the house and so worked out much cheaper than digging up our drive and breaking into the drains that run along the back of our house.

Here's a link to the manual. http://www.saniflo.co.uk/upload/products/9/sanislim_122_web_notice_livretpages_bd.pdf

Thanks. I must admit I'm tempted to replace rather than pay for a repair if I cant find an obvious fault.
Looking at the manual I think part number 32 is the bit I think is stuck, and not closing, but my shower is connected to the right hand side.
Is there one of these on that side as well?
I assume there is and the diagram is just showing as if the right side is plugged rather than used.
Anyone know what this is called and where I can get one?

Thanks

Hi newbuyer17, sorry I couldn`t answer you on the other forum due to a little dispute with the management there.

There are 2 ways of going about the problem, the easiest way is to turn off the electrics and pour a bottle of Saniflo Cleaner & Descaler down the shower and basin waste until they stop draining then pour the remains of the bottle down the toilet and leave it there for a few days.
Note yours is 5yrs old so it might take 2 attempts over two weeks to address the problem.
Part 32 is not the source of the problem on it`s own by the way.

There are 2 ways of going about the problem, the easiest way is to turn off the electrics and pour a bottle of Saniflo Cleaner & Descaler down the shower and basin waste until they stop draining then pour the remains of the bottle down the toilet and leave it there for a few days.

Got a customer with one of these abominations in his basement utility room and the drain smell is horrendous (just doing a sink and washing machine). Hoping that this procedure will solve that issue. :(

Got a customer with one of these abominations in his basement utility room and the drain smell is horrendous (just doing a sink and washing machine). Hoping that this procedure will solve that issue. :(

Sometimes the basin & washing machine only pumps smell worse. Do the above with cheap, thin, runny supermarket own brand disinfectant and hot water down the basin and the power turned off for 45minutes ONLY !!! Then turn the power back on after 45 minutes. There may be foam bubbles from the air vent so have a towel ready. Then do it again with the Saniflo chemical as above.

Hi newbuyer17, sorry I couldn`t answer you on the other forum due to a little dispute with the management there.

Note yours is 5yrs old so it might take 2 attempts over two weeks to address the problem.
Part 32 is not the source of the problem on it`s own by the way.

Thanks,
I have used that in the past, but a) it didn't do much and b) it wasn't easy to use.
Reason being is that the shower doesn't drain immediately (never has from new) so if I pour the cleaner down the shower it will just overflow into the shower tray. I'd have to put a lot down for it to be sucked into the saniflo, but either way it would be all over the tray and I wouldn't want to leave it there for any length of time.

Whats the other option? And incidentally whats likely to be wrong with it?
P.S. Its only used for no 1's, so hoping it wont be too bad if I need to take it apart.
Is it likely to have faulty parts or just be blocked/need a good clean?

Last edited:
Saniflo pumps do not suck water in, the shower waste should be around 180mm higher than the inlet on the pump hence your shower is slow to drain so just use the basin and the toilet to add the cleaner this will flood the tank for the cleaner to work. Other option is to dismantle the unit and clean it by hand and that is the most likely reason for what you describe unless you have used other chemicals in that case replace it.

Its probably about a 150mm drop from the shower.
OK, I'll order some descaler.
I'd probably prefer to check inside first to ensure hasn't got anything specific blocking it and just needs a clean.
Is it just a case of isolating the power and taking the top off to have a look?
And if I do take the top off I assume its better to just put the descaler straight into the unit rather than bothering with the sink?

Thanks again for your assistance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back