Gutted!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Kia Sedonna 2003 2.9 CRDi LX (120,000 miles)

Just completed the most difficult engine in car job of my life:

New alternator, new cam belt, new ancillary belt, new air con belt, new water pump and thermostat.

I initially needed to replace the alternator but decided to do the belts as well. As I had access to the water pump I also decided to replace it......wish I hadn't!

Started her up, following completion today, and she ran as sweet as a nut BUT water dribbling from the lower cam belt cover.
Clearly coming from the new water pump installation.

When I removed the old one the gasket was quite substantial (light metal?). The one that came with the new pump was a papery one but I thought it would be suitable. Anyway I've got to strip it down again to sort it. Ugh!!

2 other worries: 1) the rev counter doesnt work now.....have I accidentally disconnected a cable?
2) the sediment warning light has come on

The new alternator is charging 14 volts at the battery...hurray, something has worked
Anyway all the nuts and bolts gave been well greased so it shouldn't be as difficult stripping down this time

Would welcome any views on correct gasket fitment, whether I should use a liquid sealant instead/ in addition to the paper one

Cheers Rob

Sponsored Links
Make sure you clean off all the old gasket (use a stanley blade or similar) and use another brand new gasket. I think I used some silicon grease on the gasket last time I did a water pump (which didn't leak), but I'm not mechanic.

I have found the most effective sealant is ordinary silicone rubber but applied the night before you assemble it, when the sealant has set it gives a very flexible joint but you don't scrape the sealant off on reassembly. Just run a bead of it round the pump or whatever and leave it to set, even if its quite thick it will squeeze out when you tighten it down and is guaranteed to fill in any spaces.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back