Gutter or Slate Issue

Got another quote a couple of weeks ago which seemed far more sensible.

However after phoning them to say I'd accept the quote they haven't bothered phoning me back.

So, does anyone know of a decent roofer in the Stirling area?

Sponsored Links
This just gets stranger and stranger.

Had a roofer booked to come out yesterday (Tuesday). It was raining all day and he didn't show. I'm assuming it was because of the weather.

However, I went out and took a look at the problem from ground level. I could not see any water coming over the gutter, or through the woodwork. There was also no obvious wet patch on the wall.....

It rained consistently all day and at points was heavy (not torrential) and no mark....

I now don't know whether to get someone to go up!

Just spoke to roofer who was meant to be out yesterday. I said I assumed he wasn't coming because of the weather. He said it was because he forgot.

Just cannot get the service!

I have replaced my valleys in zinc and know from experience you need to get a ladder out, and a hosepipe if required and check it out for yourself. A problem that seemed a puzzle from the ground is very clear up at the roof level under the hosepipe test. But whatever you do, don't look down as it is twice as far to fall as it was to climb up the ladder.

When you get up close with the water running, things become clearer and wetter...

In your photo your valley looks like there is a crack at the fold, but only you can tell by eyeballing it.

Sponsored Links
In that case you are at the mercy of roofers, unless you run a hosepipe out of the roof window, spray water up in a fan type way to simulate rain, and see what happens via bicnoculars

On closer inspection it looks to me like the valleys are old zinc (i could be wrong) and leaking (for which I am sure).
The biggie is that you have small slates on your roof and to repair this is a nightmare! it can be done if you accept that a lot of slates are going to be stuck together with addesive, but if you want the job done properly then the roof needs to be completely taken off, which is a bigger job and will cost considerably more.

I have been pondering over posts from people who are not DIYing.

In the Welcome section of the forum it says:

'DIY can be both challenging and rewarding - this is where DIYnot.com aims to help. Our expert teams have brought together hundreds of information pages. Why not Do It Yourself?'

Is it therefore against the ethos of the forum that advice should be given to posters who will not be doing any part of a task themselves? By giving advice to these posters, the foum will become clogged with posts unrelated to DIY.

Constructive comments welcome.

On closer inspection it looks to me like the valleys are old zinc (i could be wrong) and leaking (for which I am sure).
The biggie is that you have small slates on your roof and to repair this is a nightmare! it can be done if you accept that a lot of slates are going to be stuck together with addesive, but if you want the job done properly then the roof needs to be completely taken off, which is a bigger job and will cost considerably more.

I would agree that ideally the roof should be stripped and re-done. The cost of this is just over £5k after VAT (already had a quote). Unfortunately I have a baby on the way and thus a cut in income for a while so justifying that kind of cost is just out of the question. We did the back of the house a few years ago (there's a very long thread on this, with photos) so I know the benefits of getting it done.

For the time being I'm just going to have to keep this roof ticking over.

chuckalicious, I have read a little of your 2008 thread, and it is clear you know there are problems with your roof yet you have started your roof saga again winging on about not being abe to get roofers out.

You last wrote 'Well, it's too late to change roofers, but the company I'm using are one of 2 who come highly recommended from others who have had similar work done in the area. I have to trust someone, and these guys have always turned up on time, answer any question I have etc etc, so I'm happy with them so far.'

Why won't they speak to you now?

I have been pondering over posts from people who are not DIYing.

In the Welcome section of the forum it says:

'DIY can be both challenging and rewarding - this is where DIYnot.com aims to help. Our expert teams have brought together hundreds of information pages. Why not Do It Yourself?'

Is it therefore against the ethos of the forum that advice should be given to posters who will not be doing any part of a task themselves? By giving advice to these posters, the foum will become clogged with posts unrelated to DIY.

Constructive comments welcome.
Wavetrain, it sounds like you are on a crusade. Why don't you start a new thread in the General Discussion forum so that you can voice your concerns and get the opinions of others? :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back