Guttering Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening Everyone,

I have a house that has 2 gable end roofs and a flat roof, the result of much extension over many years.

The time has come for me to start thinking about replacing all the soffits, facias and guttering but I'm slightly confused about something. Basically as you can see from my poor drawing, I only have 1 downpipe for the whole house! This surely isn't right? I have been having awful damp problems along the roofline of the house and I wondered if this could be caused by rainwater simply overflowing as it can't drain away quickly enough? (I also assume it has something to do with the poor ventilation of the soffs and facias and the fact they are 40+ years old, timber and starting to rot through) Currently the front guttering is connected to a piece of guttering the runs along the side of the house and connects to the rear guttering where it drains down the single soakaway downpipe.

The measurements are 8 meters X 6.6 meters.

The questions are;

1) Should I be thinking of adding extra downpipes?
2)If above, does the house need guttering running down the side of the house? It's not catching any run off as it's not part of a roof/sarking felt ect.

And of course any other suggestions.

My first time on this forum so huge thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Perhaps outline in red the areas of roofline damp problems? Does the damp show up in the loft, the first floor and/or the GF?
Does the flat roof soffit run in line with the main roof soffit & fascia?
Pics would help - external and internal.

Is there any possible reason, that you know of, for not having RWP's at the rear and the front elevations? Do your neighbours have this arrangement?
Where is your kitchen drainage gulley, and the location of the soil pipe? Could you indicate on your drawing?
Could you also indicate any manhole or inspection chamber on the property?

Maybe you should go on the flat roof and examine its condition esp where it drains into the gutter. You should also examine the condition of the flat "valley" gutter between the two pitched roofs.

If possible, the gable run of gutter should be eliminated.

Perhaps outline in red the areas of roofline damp problems? Does the damp show up in the loft, the first floor and/or the GF?
Does the flat roof soffit run in line with the main roof soffit & fascia?
Pics would help - external and internal.

Is there any possible reason, that you know of, for not having RWP's at the rear and the front elevations? Do your neighbours have this arrangement?
Where is your kitchen drainage gulley, and the location of the soil pipe? Could you indicate on your drawing?
Could you also indicate any manhole or inspection chamber on the property?

Maybe you should go on the flat roof and examine its condition esp where it drains into the gutter. You should also examine the condition of the flat "valley" gutter between the two pitched roofs.

If possible, the gable run of gutter should be eliminated.

Thanks of the reply, i've attached some other pictures as requested. The damp does not show up so much in the loft but it does on the first floor badly in the locations I've outlined. I've also outlined the kitchen gulley with circle and the soil pipe with a square

The only reason I can think of for not having a DP on both elevations is because of the difficulty in installing a soak away or additional drainage. My Neighbours on the detached side do not have the same arrangement and the house that adjoins ours is a thatch so no guttering at all.

I inspected the flat roof a few months ago and it looks okay, I will probably be replaced around the end of the year anyway, I also inspected the valley between the roofs and this is also fine and there is no damp showing on that wall inside the house.

Thanks for the pics and info:

I dont understand how and where the flat roof and the conservatory are draining to?
The pitched roof gutter is stop ended, and the flat roof is recessed back?
Does the conservatory drain to the gulley?

Is the existing RWP draining to a sump?
Is the house on a septic tank for the soil pipe?

Pics needed of the of the other side of the property at ground level (the front elevation?) - to see if some kind of sump could be dug. What are the drawbacks to doing this?
Do either of the neighbour's have main drainage at either side of their properties?

Sponsored Links
To address the soffit and damp issues separately:

Sooner rather than later the penetrating damp issues need to be dealt with. The longer you leave it the more chance of fungal damage taking hold.

FWIW: read my recent posts ref. these difficulties of damaged soffits and guttering replacement. There's masses of other information on this and other forums using the Search facility above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back