Guttering/Ladders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

New to the forum after picking up few good and few not so good tips - ha!

Anyway a family member has a leak into their bathroom and from looking the outside it looks like the issues is the gutters (she informs me in 15 years they have never been cleared out).

Anyway as they cannot afford to pay a contractor to look at this they have asked me if i can do anything as they know i'm happy to turn my hand at anything.

I'm going to purchase some ladder to get up to gutter level. i'm getting these anyway as my own house needs a few repairs in the spring and a good lick of paint.

So a few quiestions.

1. Once i have the ladder - what is the safest/best was to erect them - there will be 2 of us? I have never put up a 3 tier ladder?

2. For the guttering i was going to go up (with extendable pole) and give them the best clear out possible - is this the best way?

3. As i'll need a few materials (maybe some mortar or filler if i see any holes whilst up there where teh water is actually getting in) what is the best way to get materials up and use materials up a ladder?

i'm not looking for the most perfect job in the world, just trying to stop the water getting in and do a little bit of re decoration untill such time a professional can be afforded.

Thanking you in advance for any help - it is both needed and appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Get a ladder which reaches a good couple of feet above the gutter so that you're working at chest/waist height when you're at gutter level.

Some of the bigger 3 tier ladders have a rope system. You use the ropes to dislodge the clips holding each section together at the same time as pulling the upper sections upwards (if you get my drift).

To extend a non-rope 3 tier ladder you can extend it on the ground then stand it up with someone standing on the bottom end to stop it sliding away. Watch the sections don't dislodge and clonk you on the head tho if using this method. Or you can do it the way most regular ladder users do - put it against the wall and extend the top section as far as you can, then partly climb the ladder and extend the top section further while on it, adjust how far the base is out from the wall, put the middle section up as far as you can, adjust the base again, partly climb and extend etc. When you get to the bit where it hits the gutter overhang compromise between how far out the base is from the wall and the angle you can still partly climb the ladder. Extend it, lift the ladder in towards the wall such that the ladder is now sitting higher and therefore resting on the gutter, and compromise again to extend further. Try not to put too much strain on the gutter where the ladder is leaning.

Cleaning gutters out is a messy job. If you can do it after a few dry/warm days you'll find that most of the mud will have "set" in the bottom and can be broken up and removed easier and with less mess.

Slide/move your ladder along a couple of feet at a time, such that you can reach a bit each side of you as necessary. Hold a rubbish bucket with your hand looped around a ladder rung, or balance it on the roof. Lift the rubbish out and put it in the bucket. Don't let your bucket get too heavy.

Carry stuff up or down using one hand. Use the other to hang on. Balance yourself by locking your knees against a rung.

If you're not confident on a ladder don't do it at all - it's easy to break your back or die falling from a ladder. The proper and safe way would be either to have a scaffold erected or to use a cherry picker.

Good luck and BE SAFE!

Don't lean the ladders on the gutter. Get a 'stand-off' they are brill.

Don't lean the ladders on the gutter. Get a 'stand-off' they are brill.

I was just going to say what joe-90 just said. Cleaning gutters without a stand off might be impossible at worst, but will make it much easier and safer at best. My house has wide soffits, so it would be impossible without. One of the best £20 I've spent.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the usefull info.

I am quite confident up ladders and will probably back down if its a little tough. I was planning on putting it off until the weather is a little better but the leak is getting worse so looks like i'll have to give it a go this weekend.

Looks as if the most difficult part is actually getting the ladder up - but guess this is a practise thing!

Thanks for the helpfull info!

To carry tools up and down tie a long piece of rope to the handle to raise or lower the bucket while you are at the top of the ladder. That way you don't have to climb up or down with the bucket in your hand, only a piece of rope - just be careful the rope doesn't snag as you climb.

Also if using a trowel or other tools, it's worth tying a piece of string to the handle so if you do fumble and drop them you can retrieve without going down and back up again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back