Roof ladder - what's the ideal length? And is two piece a no-no?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to get a roof ladder and I've not had one before so just wanted to check...

1. What's the ideal length? Is it best if the ladder stops just short of the last tile / before the gutter. Is having the ladder extend belong the gutter a bad thing (obviously not to use! ...just it being there)?

2. I've read in places that a roof ladder should always be a single piece ladder and never an extendable. But then I've seen extendable versions available and in use. And in my case I have different parts of the house with different length roofs, so an extendable would be handy in as much as it could be adjusted and used for all of them. But is it a no-no?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Mine is long and unwieldy but will deal with most sized roofs. Always tie vertical and horizontal ladders together. It's better to go past the gutter than it is to be well short. Short is very dangerous.

Sponsored Links
I have a pair of extendable catladders and I don't have a problem using them.

dont see many roofers using extendable ones.
Or jumping on the roof off a tower and strolling about.

Many thanks for all the replies. When I search cat ladders it comes up with all kinds of weird and wonderful things, but nothing like what I'm after!

Are you on Google?.

Screenshot_20220625-075303_Samsung Internet.jpg

I am indeed on Google!

Weird - when I type cat ladder into google I get:

Attachments

• Cat Ladder 01.png
    Cat Ladder 01.png
    565.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Cat Ladder 02.png
    Cat Ladder 02.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
That is a bit odd!. Do you own a cat? (maybe Google adapted due to previous searches?).

Mine were too short so I extended them:

Screenshot_20220708-205548-583.png

Screenshot_20220708-205515-416.png

My dad had a homemade one knocked up from roofing battens, didn't have any hooks just a length of 2x2 screwed across the bottom that he sat in his asbestos gutters to stop it sliding off the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back