safe ladder use cleasning gutters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning to clean my gutters out this weekend with my newly aquired ladders. I have already been up to inspect the size of the task, but wondered if any of you chaps had any good tips on using the ladders safely. Especially in terms of the best way to lean ladders against the house when cleaning gutters above windows. ie no brickwork, just facias to rest the top of the ladders against. My facias are wooden ones by the way ;)

Sponsored Links
What I tend to do is, lean the ladder on the wall, then nip up and place a bit of 4x2 in the gutter above the window where ladder will go.

Then put the ladder on the gutter above the window, and carefully go up (get some one to hold the bottom if you are unsure) and then knock some tiles up and hook a bungee around a ladder rung and the first tile lath.

You may be able to do away with the timber in the gutter if you don't put too much weight on the ladder.

But be careful, ladders slide very easily on plastic

The alternative is to use a long stick with a rag tied in a ball and taped to the stick end, and use this from the ladder on the brickwork next to the window - buy a stand-off bracket if need be as this stops you having to lead outwards. This will do the gutters nicely is you make the rag ball big enough.

Hope to see you post on Monday ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi Put the ladder up approx 70 degrees. screw eye ring into fascia, tie ladder to eye with rope. Then carry out work. You may need to repeat several times but it cuts down the risk. (Most accident happen when people get to comfortable with the situation, concentrating on the task and not the access)

In bad access areas I use a stand off on the ladder then get drain rods with the spade attatchment on it and pull all the grot back to me and put it in a bucket hanging from a meat "S" hook on the ladder rung in front of me, behind the ladder.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back