Cleaning awkward to reach guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new 1930's house needs the gutters cleans as there are some drips coming from some. My issue is I'm not as good with heights as I used to be and also some of the locations of the gutters are very difficult to access using a ladder to the angle the ladder can be placed and garden related wooden frames being in the way at the back of the house (it would all need to be dismantled which is a major job and would wreck the plants).

So are there any tools available that might help, things on poles and such like ?

Sponsored Links
Are they blocked, or just leaking? You may save yourself some time by establishing that first with a Go-Pro on a tent pole or something.

Is the guttering 1930's cast iron, or more recent replacement plastic with rubber seals joining sections together?

Fairly sure they are probably blocked as they overflow where there is no join. I thought about the gopro route (I have one) but the guttering is 30ft up or so.

Seriously, at that sort of height any sort of cleaning / scraping device isn't going to work.....I have my doubts if they work at the best of times anyway!
Nowt like getting yer hand in.
I guess its a job for a 'handyman' with long ladders - usually there's a few advertising these services around.
John :)

Sponsored Links
And no roof window either? (With moderate success) I cleaned some of my gutters and parts of the blocked downpipe from there, using a paint extension roler and a drain auger.

I've also tried that plastic 'gutter guard' too.....all it did was to trap leaves or whatever on the top, and rain water simply coursed over the top, soaking the facias. A total waste of time.
John :)

OP,
you were asked what material are your gutters (& downpipes)?
1930's gutters will be CI. but we dont know?
You describe leaks from the joins and what appears to be overflowing from blockages - am I correct?
What type of house is this - semi etc?

OP, I've just noticed your other post in the roofing forum, and how you already have a roofer working on your roof.
Then why even bother to ask this question on here when the roofer who is already there can presumably do the gutters along with the other bits and pieces?

Last edited:
Window Cleaning Companies often offer these services. Some can reach with a Gutter Vac. But as a previous poster said, getting up and getting your hand in is best.

If you get up on a ladder in one spot, you can pull the debris back towards you using a Harris pole with an attachment (homemade) reducing the need to keep moving the ladder. I have cleared many difficult gutters this way.

Sorry for delay in getting back I've been rushed off my feet. Anyway I got hold of a 5m pole with a gutter attachment, basically a brush one side and a hard plastic solid end the other. I used this to clean gutters and it worked a treat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back