Leaking gutter...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I love these sites, they are so full of good advice....I hope one day to "give" as much as I "take"!

Until then, I'm afraid I need some advice with my black plastic (pvc) guttering. It is a few years old (I'd estimate about 10) on a 1930's house. Over the winter a couple of joints in the guttering started to drip. Then a faster drip...until it is a fairly full on drip depending upon the rate of rain.

I went up and replaced the joint - union joint (I think it's called) with a new one and as I just replaced the piece that was there, cleaned the limescale, residue etc off the ends of the gutter and fitted it all back up to the 'fit' lines on the new joint.

It stopped leaking. Until it rained again. It's now as bad as it ever was.

I am wondering...the gutter 'sags' at the point of the join...and the joint isn't 'attached' to the soffit. Could this sagging be the cause?

The guttering clipped nicely into the union joint...and all seemed to create a good fit....I'm ever so dissapointed.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Just because plastic guttering is light, when it rains and full of water it is heavy. take a screw with you up the ladder and fix the union to your fascia board at the appropriate height.

Just because plastic guttering is light, when it rains and full of water it is heavy. take a screw with you up the ladder and fix the union to your fascia board at the appropriate height.

Many thanks....I'll give it a go!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back