Guttering lengths

M

marsaday

I need to renew my old wooden guttering and plan to do it in pvc square.

I have a disatnce of 4.5m to cover. I understand the lengths are usually 4m, but i wondered do they come in smaller lengths ? If so should i look to use 2 lengths of say 2.5m. This will give me a join in the middle rather than on the end and so look better than 4m and then 50cm of guttering.

I will also be joining up with wood so wondered how you join the two materials up ? Is it a case of using silicon or gutter sealant ?

Final question as well, the downpipe is at the end of my neighbours gutter, so another 4m odd away from the end of mine where they join up. Now because i am redoing the guttering do you think it is worth setting my gettering going the opposite way to which it runs at present and run it towards my current stop end. Then i add some down pipe and take it round the gable end to drop onto my slated kitchen extension. The water will then go into my own drain on my land and i will make myself independant from my neighbours down pipe. The extra work is not a problem.

Is this a no no, or would you all do the same ? If you need more info i will reply with it. thanks

Sponsored Links
I dont see a problem with you taking your own rainwater were you want. The trade places I get my guttering from only stock 4m lengths, but B&Q and Wicks do shorter lengths.

Gutter tends to come in 4 and 2m lengths

I am not sure what you mean by wooden guttering, but presume you will have to bodge a connection.

These gutters are made out of wood. Very common on all the 100 yrs old terraces. Very rotten by now though.

Sponsored Links
if you are taking the rainwater the other way then blank off your neighbours wooden gutter, stop end your guttering and drape a small piece of lead over the join then run your gutter the oposite way that way you are totally independant otherwise you will need a square to round converter to run into the wooden

Squareline gutter can be prone to leaking over time, the shape allows the base to buckle slightly, thus lifting it off the gaskets in the joints and creating a leaky joint. Your choice, but half round seems to be better IMO. Deepflow option available if higher capacity required.

I'd block off the neighbours end of the wooden gutter rather then trying to bodge a joint, then fit your own downpipe as mentioned. Downside is heavy rainfall may cause the flow from the downpipe to 'overshoot' the kitchen gutter. If downpipe can be routed directly to suitable drain point then that may be better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back