Guttering overhanging on neighbours property?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're about to have a new kitchen extension built. The roof will pitch downwards towards the party wall which will form part of the extension. Fixing guttering in the usual way will mean it will overhang on our neighbours property and we'd rather not get into that. Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. The drawings show the building line so that the outer skin of the extension wall will replace the inner skin of the party wall. Bringing down the party wall will mean our neighbour gains a brick width of extra garden space. Potentially the gutter will overhang on his side by this brick width. I'm told that there is a way of securing the guttering so that it won't overhang. The downpipe will have to come down over the wall and then have a bend to bring it down straight onto our property. I don't whether I've explained this as clearly as I could, so please forgive me. It sounds messy and I'm wondering what it will look like, anybody got any pics, advice please?

Sponsored Links
I would have thought this would be on the plans, that have been approved.
So has it not been built to plan.
You cant encroach on your neighbour..Im not a builder.
I dont think I need to be for this.

WOW HOLD YOUR HORSES :eek: :eek:

I think you definitely need to contact your local planning dept and get a planning officer out to site to get this sorted out. The plans should have been approved by planning as per the submitted documents so why is there an issue with the position of the flank wall and the guttering :?: This should have been picked up by planning and/or drawn correctly by your architect.

Taking down party walls, effectively giving your neighbour part of your land is going to cause huge problems later when and if you come to sell.

Besides this you cannot simply take down a party wall :eek: If your definition of this wall is correct and it is a true party wall then you will require permission to do this and your neighbour will have to agree. Check out the party wall act.

I am worried that your situation can escalate out of control. Can you provide some more accurate detail of what has been done with respect to planning and the submitted drawings :?:

Just to add on, the neighbours would've seen the letter for the plan to object before the drawing is passed.

Nige F - wonderful! You hit the nail on the head - I looked up 'Parapet Guttering' on Google Images - loads of pics! Now I can imagine what it will look like. Thank you!

Dear Diyisfun, Alpcon and Masona,

I couldnt leave without a note of thanks to you for your replies.

Just to confirm:

Firstly we have enquired at our local planning office (my hubby actually works for the council, so we obviously had the best advice, thank goodness!).

We are advised that we do not require planning permission. However, we do require Building Regulations Approval, which we have yet to apply for and obtain before work can begin. We are also required by the Party Wall Act 1996, to advise our neighbour of our intentions in writing at least two months before work commences.

The plans have been drawn so that our neighbour will not gain any of our land, he will simply lose his skin of the party wall, therefore allowing an additional 4" of garden space on his side. Obviously if he insists, then we will reinstate his half of the wall, making the extension treble skin to exisiting wall height and double skin thereafter on our side.

So .... back to the original .... the plans show the guttering running over the 4" gap (created by removing his half of the party wall, effectively on his property) but our architect says there is a way of getting around this.

Seems 'Nige F' has hit the nail on the head.

Many, many thanks for your time and efforts and good luck with your projects.

Nige F - wonderful! You hit the nail on the head - I looked up 'Parapet Guttering' on Google Images - loads of pics! Now I can imagine what it will look like. Thank you!
You`re very welcome .....modern ones don`t need to be lead lined ...could possibly be done with fibreglass...or even high performance elastomeric felt ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back