Gyproc easi fill or Ready Mix, or what else?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am chasing some wiring into a victorian flat. The plaster is a very soft sand based stuff which is actually a pleasure to chase - hope I don't jinx it.

Anyway, when it comes to filling the chases I was hoping to use a ready mix product (Gyproc Ready Mix) to fill, then tape so it doens't crack before applying a final "skim".

I was also intending to fill all the little holes and bad spots with the same filler.

Is this Ready Mix product suitable or is there something else that I'll need to mix up?

It's likely I'll use lining paper although I don't want to - hate the stuff - so a perfect finish isn't required.

Sponsored Links
Personally I would use Bonding plaster to fill out, tape & then re-skim the entire wall; no lining paper required.

If you just intend to blend in, Easyfill will suit you better; you only have to add water, it’s easy to work with & sand build it out in 2-3 hits, not in one go; I would not use the tub Redimix.

Personally I would use Bonding plaster to fill out, tape & then re-skim the entire wall; no lining paper required.

If you just intend to blend in, Easyfill will suit you better; you only have to add water, it’s easy to work with & sand build it out in 2-3 hits, not in one go; I would not use the tub Redimix.

Thanks, if I had the skill I would reskim thw whole wall, but I don't and am quite frankly wary of trying!

Point noted, I'll use the Easi Fill rather than the ready mix. Do I still need to tape if I am only blending?

If you can lift around 25mm of the plaster skim away from the base coat each side of the chase, fill out to that level first, then tape & fill out the surrounding wall level. If you fill out & stick the tape over the existing wall level, you will get a bump which will be difficult for to loose without blending over quiet a large area.

Sponsored Links
Another option which I always use is to PVA the chase and then fill the chase with one coat plaster, rub it back a bit and then apply a couple of coats of pre mixed jointing compound after with some sanding inbetween to neaten it up and to blend it in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back