1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Had a GRP garage roof job done, pooling. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by billyboy1234, 7 Jun 2014.

1. billyboy1234

billyboy1234

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Had a roof replaced on our garages, and to be fair to the fitter, there was never really a sufficient run on the original roof. He had increased the run when he did the work. However last night we had our first substantial rainfall, and whilst everything is dry inside (which is a vast improvement on before), there is some pooling on the roof.

He did say this is to be expected on a roof of this size, is he correct? Should we be concerned?

Thanks.

Pic

[​IMG]

2. honda

honda

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Were the boards done at the same time as the old ones can sag hence the pooling. Had my garage done 14 years and rain pools just in one corner but with no problems. The house across the road has pooling like yours every time it rains with no problems or leaks so if it was me I wouldn't be concerned.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. billyboy1234

billyboy1234

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The boards and most of the joists were replaced too. He used 18mm OSB board and did 3 layers of GRP.

5. freddiemercurystwin

freddiemercurystwin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Pooling is caused because of lack of fall, even if the joists are sagging a bit the fall should be enough to cope with that issue. Your roofer simple did not add enough fall, this could have been done with firings on top of the existing joists. The size of the roof is irrelevant. Anyway, provided the GRP has been installed correctly it won't be a problem, apart from aesthetic and winding you up every time you see it pooling for ever more! :p

6. Sponsored Links
  7. honda

honda

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just to add to Freddy's post what does wind me up (only a little) is the fact that when the pool eventually evaporates it leaves over time a sediment of dirt etc which I scrub off once a yearish for the sake of appearances.

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local