Had flat roof replaced two years ago, told to replace!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just over 2 years ago we had our flat roof totally replaced. It now consists of 3 layers of bitumen paper. On top of that is tanalized wood supporting composite, 25 year lifespan, composite decking.

A builder has told us we should not walk on bitumen paper flat rooves even though we are really walking on decking supported by wood on 3 layers of bitumen paper.

We are disappointed we are being told to replace a flat roof with no reported problems just because he occasionally walk on it.

Is this advice correct?

Sponsored Links
I'm confused, why is he saying you have to replace the roof, are there leaks or what? If there are no 'reported problems' as you put what was a builder doing up there looking at it. Is this a house, block of flats or what?

There are no leaks or any reported problems with it whatsoever.

It is a house converted into flats.

One flat owner is telling us to replace the flat roof or when a problem occurs he ensures we will suffer for it financially.

One flat owner is telling us to replace the flat roof or when a problem occurs he ensures we will suffer for it financially.

Sounds like a nice man; he probably whinges about everything in the building.

Sponsored Links
No, he is not called Tony.

The trouble is this guy has come on quite strong to us.

He has threatened making trouble with our insurance company if they is a leak in the future, got his builder to spew off what a good deal it is, threatened that other flat owners won't contribute in the future to the repair if we leave it, threatened to say the flat roof invades their privacy....

We agreed to the repair, but in retrospect our hand was forced.

Now we don't know what to do.

Work has not started yet.

Given we were coerced into agreeing I feel we should just refuse to let it happen, but we did agree by email.

What should we do? I am thinking of adding a caveat that will we only pay if there in an examination of what has gone on.

I suspect that there is a, perhaps complicated, back story to this post?

And the back story is not about construction details but freehold permissions and agreements.

Maybe i'm wrong, i often am?

Anyway piper2014, first thing on monday morning make a heads up telephone call with a solicitor(s).
By giving email agreement you might have opened a box of expensive future difficulties for yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back