DIY flat roofing options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I have a small external garage (5M by 3M) that currently has a flat felt roof and has wooden rafters on top of a single skin of bricks. Its in pretty bad shape with a lot of ponding and I've had to patch it twice over the winter with acrypol so I will be replacing it when we get some nicer weather.

I was looking at doing a DIY EPDM roof and also laying a new deck and firrings (quite certain both of need replacing). A relative has kindly offered to help with the replacement but suggested we could do it a lot cheaper with a polycarbonate or bitumin sheets.

Is it possible to fit these sheets as a flat roof or by building one side up to make it slope? I've only ever seen these sheets used for sloping rooves or rooves with ridges, can't see anything only and got the feeling doing it as a flat roof would be a bit cowboy/bodgey.

Sponsored Links
I was looking at doing a DIY EPDM roof and also laying a new deck and firrings (quite certain both of need replacing). A relative has kindly offered to help with the replacement but suggested we could do it a lot cheaper with a polycarbonate or bitumin sheets

You would need to change from a flat roof to a pitched roof.

Ive done a diy epdm roof, 30 sq metres. Its a brilliant system.

My tips:
lay the epdm sheet on the roof for a few days to ease out creases
Scrub the gluing side of tge sheet with a vacuum cleaner to remove as much silver dust
Vac the boarding
Use the white glue on both deck and epdm
Buy a karndean floor laying roller -about £25 from amazon.

Sponsored Links
Thank for your advice guys appreciate the ideas.

@Notch7 thank you for your tips, could I you who you bought your roof from and if you reckon the kits that some sites offer are worth it or is it cheaper to buy all the trims, adhesives etc separately?

@catlad sorry if its a daft question, but would I still need some sort of trims/edging as well as the sheets and bars?

I would glue say a 50mm angle trim on both sides and top.
There is specific drip edge for the gutter end.

When we added an extension we changed our flat roof to pitched / tiled. This was not part of the extension but was similar in cost to having it refelted regularly and now I do not get the home insurance pestering me with "Have you got a flat roof?" plus the premium for a bigger house is lower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back