Had wrong boiler fitted???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a Baxi Platinum 28HE combi condensing boiler fitted......unfortunately I had paid for a 33HE.
Can anyone tell me the difference between these boilers before I ring them up?
The radiators I am using are:
Double in hall
Double in lr
Single in kitchen
Single in landing
Towel rail in bathroom
Small single in airing cupboard
Double in bed 1
Single in bed 2
Single in bed 3

Thankyou in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
the size of your system is actually almost irrelevant! The larger boier would supply a greater hot water flow rate.

So the 28he will be able to cope with the number of rads we have?
So having the larger boiler just means that the hot water will flow from the tap faster?
I guess the company conducted a heating audit and heat loss assessment before recommending the size of boiler they did so they must have thought I needed a 33he.
The 28he does heat up the rads hot and water flowing from tap fine....just wondered if they were trying to pull a fast one on us.

have you the original quote if so complain
and if nessacry take them to small claims court
if not then not much you can do
it all depen on how much effort you want to put in

Sponsored Links
If the performance is ok, and you say it is, then I would expect a refund of the cost difference between the 28 and the 33. Have you approached your installers?

The 28HE is a 24kw combi and the 33HE is a 28kw , I wouldent install a 24kw combi as the performance of the hot water in winter can be dismal, if you paid for the 33HE then that is what you should have got.

Without looking at the spec it seems to me that you have got what you have been quoted for.

Its very confusing that so many makers are putting two powers on their boilers.

Its not very exact but effectively they put the condensing and non-condensing powers on the boiler sales documents!

Tony

Agile";p="2051097 said:
Without looking at the spec it seems to me that you have got what you have been quoted for.
Agile";p="2051097 said:
How do you work that out??

OP: As said, the practical consideration is the hot water flow. Unfortunately, if you've just had it fitted, you haven't experienced the flow in the winter. If, however, you are satisfied, and have a wriiten quote, then I would be asking the installer, (without a tantrum) why the the discrepancy.

It may be an honest oversight, and I would expect a refund based on either his published retail, or as a minmum, the differene in trade prices.

I have now looked at the spec sheets and models.

Baxi Platinums are sold in 24, 28, 33 and 40 kW models.

Presumably the quote says a 33HE ?

If it was specifically a 33HE model then fitting a 28 HE is incorrect and you are entitled to an explanation.

You could ask for specific performance! That means replacing with the correct boiler!

Or ask for the difference in price to be refunded! £1099 and £988 !

Tony

Edited to remove misleading information.

my mistake, I looked at the ch input, the input for the 28HE on hot water is 28.7kw and the 33HE is 34kw (I must pay more attention)

If it was specifically a 33HE model ( as opposed to a 33 kW boiler! ) then fitting a 28 HE is incorrect and you are entitled to an explanation.

You could ask for specific performance! That means replacing with the correct boiler!

Or ask for the difference in price to be refunded! £1099 and £988 !

Why? If the quotation is for a 33HE, fitting a 28HE, or any other random boiler, does not fulfil the contract. They fit boilers every day, it is unlikely to be an oversight, more likely to be some cunning stunt, but they can explain that, I'm sure.

The customer could dig in and demand the 33HE, leaving them with a second-hand 28HE to offload on some other mug/punter and labour costs for the exchange. Maybe they could negotiate a refund, say £300 or £400, for the customer to accept the variation; he's not obliged to accept anything other than a 33HE and it's cheap, for them.

Er, no it doesn't, unless I am missing something:

http://www.baxi.co.uk/docs/Baxi_Platinum_Consumer_Guide.pdf[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are right!

Anyway the OP needs to decide what he wants to do about it.

If he is happy with the DHW output then a refund might be his choice.

Alternatively if money is less important then stick out for the correct boiler.

It really annoys me that some firms try this on. Probably as a genuine mistake at first and then hope the customer will not notice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back