Hairline crack in concrete lintol.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed a window which is approx 6' long and when i have looked at the lintol it has a hairline crack in it at the bottom about 14" from whrer it rests on the brick work, also where it rests on the brickwork it is only held by half the width of the brick.
This seems to have been like this from when the house was built, i was wanting some advice on the best way to strengthen the lintol as the doors im going too fit are 10" smaller than the opening and i wondered if i could build up the side's of the existing opening and place a steel lintol on top of the new supports that i would have added?

sorry for the length of the post but any help would be much appreciated.
thanks.
Jim.
if the question reads as a ramble i will be happy to explain any point.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for looking Woody,
Do you think where the width of the brick which is 4 by 9 inch approx and is only holding on 2 inch width will be fine or should i try to add a piece?
or build up the reveal to be sure.
thanks.

Ideally the lintel should be sat on the brick work by at least 150mm(6 inch)
What is above the lintel?
Does the crack appear all the way around the lintel?
Is there another lintel sat behind it?

Sponsored Links
If this lintel has been up there since built with no problems, then you could probably assume that the bearings are OK

But if your new door is smaller than the opening, then you will presumably be building the sides up in any case, which will increase the bearing. If so, just tie your new internal reveals in with some fish-tail ties every 225mm and pack the last joint under the lintel well with mortar.

But there must be concerns over the crack in the lintel, it is 14 inch into the opening, the M/O is only being reduced by 10 inch, 5 inch either side (I assume).
So when did this crack appear, was it when the window was removed, is it superficial or something more worrying?
Does the crack only appear on the underside or is it all the way round?
What is the load the lintel is carrying?
It could well be some fault that happened during manufacture and has no effect on it's weight carrying capacity.
But I for one would consider if the lintel is fit for it's purpose.

thanks for reply,
@Woody is tie-ing in to the brickwork essential or can i build up to it as if it was a pillar?
and @ derry, the lintol crack hasnt gone all the way round and is 6 by 10 inch approx and i think has rebar theough it...

cheers and thanks replys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back