Awning fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted a topic about this some months ago but now have more info available. The pictures show firstly the awning as fixed to the original building and the second the proposed fixing to the extended building.

The relevant dimensions are: Overall length of awning: 3800mm; Fixing centres: 3200mm; Door width: 2250; Catnic lintol over door: 2700mm

The blockwork is about 12 months old.

The suggestions:
1: Fix directly to blockwork with 12mm chemical fixings.
2: construct a goal post with 6 x 2 timbers and rawlbolt to wall.
3: Fix steel uprights either side of the opening say 1200 length of 100x6 flat bar.

Any advice or suggestions will be much appreciated.

TIA

Sponsored Links
My pennies worth...
The old fixing was into blockwork that continued up the gable wall, and which probably has wall ties to the inner skin, so would have been quite strong.
The new location is right at the top of the wall, which presumably doesn't get a lot of support from the inner skin. If so, I think my suggestion would be to make/adapt brackets that fix to the rafters, or even better if the new roof is trussed, you should get some good fixings through the soffit into the truss.

Maybe a bit over the top, but in high winds I reckon the top line of blockwork could start to loosen...

Many thanks, Reg. That was my major worry i.e. the fixing would be into a single row of blocks. However, I like your idea of fixings to the rafters. What would you think of the idea to adapt heavy duty restraint straps ( as used for wall plates) to hook over the top row of blocks ?

TIA

Well those restraint straps aren't very stiff, so I don't think they'd prevent loosening of the top blocks.
Your other idea of fixing steel uprights either side of the doorway is ok, but the steels would need to be completely stiff - eg box or rectangular section. Then you'd need some sort of modification at the top for the awning connection. Could get tricky?

All the best.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Reg, following up your idea of fixing to rafters, I have 12" soffits so I am thinking of putting wedge shapes cut from 6x2 timbers to bring the underside of the rafters level and coach screwing a 6x2 to these, packing down to top of soffit. I can then refit the soffit and fix the awning brackets thro' the soffit to the 6x2 with coach screws.

Sounds like a good plan. You need to be sure the rafters are properly secured down to the wall (maybe inner and outer skin) or in high winds the awning might tend to lift them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back