Hairline crack in render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was hoping you could help me. I have two hairline cracks on the external render from one window to another in my 1920 built house. Firstly, is this anything to worry about? and secondly what would be best for me to do in order to fill the crack?
1653851858952.png

1653851843345.png

Sponsored Links
Assuming that there are no racks inside, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Cracks in flat render- I use an angle grinder, gun in some Toupret Fibacryl and then coat with Toupret Touprelith F filler.

Given that you have a textured finish, you might be better off using regular caulk over the top and smooth it as best as you can. When dry, paint over it and throw some sand at the wet paint to create a textured finish. The apply another cot (or two) of emulsion when dry.

Alternatively, brush some neat pva (wood glue) in to the gap and wipe away the excess.

Assuming that there are no racks inside, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Cracks in flat render- I use an angle grinder, gun in some Toupret Fibacryl and then coat with Toupret Touprelith F filler.

Given that you have a textured finish, you might be better off using regular caulk over the top and smooth it as best as you can. When dry, paint over it and throw some sand at the wet paint to create a textured finish. The apply another cot (or two) of emulsion when dry.

Alternatively, brush some neat pva (wood glue) in to the gap and wipe away the excess.
Thanks for the reply mate. Apologies for having to ask what is probably a stupid question, what do you mean by racks?
I thought a caulking job might be the end of it so glad that is what is being suggested. I think what has been throwing me atleast was that the cracks go from one window to another, which I couldn't find any other forum post talk about on here.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply mate. Apologies for having to ask what is probably a stupid question, what do you mean by racks?
I thought a caulking job might be the end of it so glad that is what is being suggested. I think what has been throwing me atleast was that the cracks go from one window to another, which I couldn't find any other forum post talk about on here.

Racks was a typo, I meant to say cracks.

Render is very rigid, any slight movement and it is likely to crack. Bricks and plaster allow a degree of movement.- that might explain why there are no cracks in side. Buildings move very slightly throughout the year, in part as the soil/clay expands and contracts according to rain/no rain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back