Hairline Crack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I know this topic has been covered a lot so I will try to be brief.

I noticed what looks like a new hairline crack on one of our upstairs walls. I'm 99% certain it is fresh as would have been noticed before now. We have just returned from a holiday so I assume it may have opened up over that time.

The reason I have posted is the crack runs down the middle of the wall, from the ceiling to skirting board. From what I have read here it seems more normal if the cracks start in corners or joints? Rather than in the middle of the wall.

I have posted some pics below, the second one is too far away to see the crack however the line shows the general way it runs.

Above the wall is the loft, no conversion but fully boarded. We moved in to the house 3 months ago and original survey in March picked up no structual issues but new wall ties were reccomended. It is a 1930s Semi.

The wall seperates the two main bedrooms but doesn't feel or sound like plasterboard. However when I knock on the crack it sounds more hollow than the rest of the wall.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_6245.JPG
    IMG_6245.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_6247.JPG
    IMG_6247.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_6248.JPG
    IMG_6248.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 160
Sponsored Links
Vertical cracks are almost always related to thermal movement (ie shrinkage) and can occur randomly, but typically after seasonal changes of heat and humidity or a period of different usage or non usage of the property which creates similar changes. Such cracks are not normally of concern, but more about appearance.

Cracks on the inner and outer walls are the ones to worry about.

Vertical cracks are almost always related to thermal movement (ie shrinkage) and can occur randomly, but typically after seasonal changes of heat and humidity or a period of different usage or non usage of the property which creates similar changes. Such cracks are not normally of concern, but more about appearance.

Cracks on the inner and outer walls are the ones to worry about.

Cheers mate - Shrinkage was my first thought but thought I would get a second opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back