Hairline Cracks appearing all over house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm just looking for a bit of advice on these cracks. We bought the property around 6 years ago, it is a late 30's - early 40s built property.

We have started seeing hairline cracks appearing all over the house most of which are above above or below windows or door frames.

We have timber doors and windows at the front and side and uPVC at the rear and the cracks appear to be more around the timber frames.

There have always been some hairline cracks here and there which is to be expected given the age of the property but a lot are definitely new.

The majority do seem to have appeared since the cold snap and the central heating has been on a lot more.

Just to note all of the cracks do appear to be hairline. All are <1mm wide. Since living here we have noticed that the previous owners certainly partook in some dodgy DIY over the years.

Most of the walls appear to be plastered/Artexed direct to internal brick work which looks like a gypsum surface skim over possibly lime original plaster? I've added a couple of photos for context.

Just to note there is no cracks in external brickworks just very old frost damaged pointing that needs redoing.

Attachments

• IMG_20221211_095521.jpg
    IMG_20221211_095521.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20221211_095525.jpg
    IMG_20221211_095525.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20221211_095527.jpg
    IMG_20221211_095527.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20221211_095624.jpg
    IMG_20221211_095624.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 134
Sponsored Links
That’s just plaster cracking

thermal expansion / contraction is the cause on masonry

expansion / contraction due to moisture content change on timber frame

All perfectly normal.

You should see the cracks on new contstruction, builders use timber supplied by merchants who keep it outside in the rain. And then there’s those garbage thermalite blocks that crack.

Thank you for the reply its quite reassuring to hear. Think anxiety has got the better of me since I've been going around the house noting all the new cracks driving my partner insane.

I did think it was quite coincidental after we've had an extremely dry summer followed by weeks of torrential rain and finally the last week or so it's gone below zero. Then all of a sudden a lot of cracks start appearing .

As I say most are so fine they won't even show on my camera unless I get extremely close.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back