Hairline cracks - interior wall/ceiling - matt emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bedroom ceiling and walls were skimmed about 6 months ago and have since been painted with a matt emulsion paint (4 coats). I am pleased with the finish but in the last week I have noticed a hairline crack in the ceiling (about 1m long) and 3 hairline cracks on one wall around the light switch. I can't tell if it is the paint that has cracked or the plaster underneath, it looks like just the paint to me, is this possible. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this?

Sponsored Links
Its the plaster...paint doesnt crack like that.

Id leave it for now and then let the whole thing settle down...if the cracks are very thin then its worth trying another coat of paint over the top of them...its better to do that than it is to rake the crack out...fill it...sand it and touch it up...sometimes that leaves the wall looking worse than the cracks.

Thanks for this, I am working my way around the house so plenty of jobs to keep me going for now. I think I will leave things like you say and see how things settle down.

Cheers

Can I just add to this one. I had my ceiling replastered last Saturday. I emulsioned with the paint recommended by the plasterer which is for newly plastered surfaces. His advice was paint 4 days later if the plaster was dry, which it was. Last night I actually heard a crack and this morning the ceiling has a hairline crack down the middle, which is the reason I had the ceiling replastered in the first place. The ceilings are low and the crack is noticeable. I just don't know what to do now. I have almost finished decorating the remainder of the room.

Sponsored Links
I would leave it for a few months and see if anymore appear if they dont and painting wont hide the crack, then use a stanley knife to enlarge the crack slighty cutting it into a V fill and sand as neccessary and repaint .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back