hairline cracks, think it drying out too quick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I've replaster a cupboard wall, the old skim fell off so I've removed unsound skim and it now a 4' by 3' sand / cement plaster.

I've apply the 5-1 pva on the wall, let it dry, then redo again with pva then I've skim with muti-finish and it start drying out quicky so I splash with water and float it.

It now a nice smooth finish but as it drying out, I can see a few hairline dry river bed like crack so I've splash a little more water and float it. It still come back but smaller.

Later, as it drying out, the crack has nearly gone, a little cracks there and there so I just fill it up with easi-fill.

What caused it? :confused:

I'm not bothered as it's a cupboard, and I want to try it out to see what I like with plastering. :)

Thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
almost certainly dried out to quick did you wait 24 hours between coats of pva? if not you dident seal it properly the first coat of pva should be allowed to dry out and skin up b4 putting the tacky coat on, another thing that may have caused it is that you gave it the text book 5-1 pva this is good if your using a quality pva like unibond if you use a cheaper pva then the chances are that it was watered down already and 5-1 coat is then no good cheap pva is usless

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back