Halers dimmables don't go very dim(hamilton hartland dimmer)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a dual hamilton hartland dimmer.

One controls 6 Halers dimmable LEDs, the other 9.

Everything works great but the lights don't go that dim - and I need to do a lot of turning just to have any affect.

Have a done something dumb or is this dimmer not suitable?

Any help appreciated.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Ah, cheers. They are 10w so on circuit there's 60w and 90w on the other.

I guess this is it?

Tom

Ah, cheers. They are 10w so on circuit there's 60w and 90w on the other.

I guess this is it?

Tom
I assume that the dimmers are wired correctly BTW.
Also, if these are the H2 Halers you must be rich, very rich.

Halers have a list of those dimmers that work with their led downlights so it might be worth contacting them to ensure yours is on it.
http://www.dclighting.co.uk/catalog...11&PHPSESSID=c6a7dcf2a56ff7cdc892bd36d1dfaf30
Scroll to the bottom right and download the list.
If yours is on it and the wiring is correct you may be a problem with the dimmer.
Incidentally, most of the H2's on sale are 7.9w rated.

Sponsored Links
Hey fellas, one year on and I still haven't fixed this (new job and new kid - I've excuses :)

My lights are:
http://www.fastlec.co.uk/halers-h2-...gclid=COibtrfJpbcCFYXItAodV1YAcQ#.UZqOYBXTW90

6 on one circuit, 9 on the other.

At the moment the two circuits are controlled by one of these:
http://www.hamilton-litestat.com/browse_by_product/Dimmers/76_2X40_.html

Is one of these dimmers better?
http://www.hamilton-litestat.com/browse_by_product/Dimmers/76_2XTE_.html

Sorry to ask bone questions, I'm still trying to work out what a VA is.

Cheers,

Tom

Why quote half of what EFLI said???

Pointless.

He said:

It's a watt, which varies with the voltage - W = V x A (I = V/R so P = VI)

which to me sounds a pretty good explanation.

If the power factor of the load is 1 then the number of watts is the same as the number of VAs

watts = VA times power factor.

Tombola, according to both sets of Hamilton dimmer instructions, when you use either of these dimmers with LED's then you have to de-rate them by 75%.
Checking the Halers website, they recommend a max of 5 H2 lights for a 250w dimmer and 10 for a 400w dimmer.

So you are running into trouble from both the dimmer and the lights themselves.

The best option is still to contact halers (Collingwood) and ask them for recommendations.

FWIW, my mate has the same lights working on Varilight dimmers - sets of 4, 7 and 8 units on 3 dimmers. They don't go down to "is it still on ?" levels, but they do go quite low.

And for riveralt, yes he spent a lot of money on lights ! And a lot of shiny accessories as well.

Tombola, according to both sets of Hamilton dimmer instructions, when you use either of these dimmers with LED's then you have to de-rate them by 75%.

Sorry mate, what do you mean by re-rate them please?

Sorry to ask bone questions, I'm still trying to work out what a VA is.
Dimensionally VA and W are the same unit.

However those who work on AC power systems have adopted the convention of using W for "real power" and VA for "apparent power".

"real power" is the transfer of energy from supply to load averaged over at least a full cycle.
"apparent power" is the result of multiplying RMS voltage with RMS current (again with the RMS taken over at least a full cycle).

If the load acts like a resistor a resistor then real power and apparent power are the same. However if the load does not act like a resistor then real power will be lower than apparent power.

Real power divided by apparent power is known as the "power factor".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back