Halfords free MOT offer

I used to go to a place that just did mot’s, top bloke, did his job and told you if anything needed doing. Having now moved home I had to find a new garage. Grandaughter had oil light come on in her car and dropped it into a garage for them to take a look. The garage checked it out and fitted a new sensor, charged her £32 which I reckon is the cost of the sensor and probably 15 minutes labour.

I took my classic which passed and they will get my daily driver too when its due.

Sponsored Links
I used to go to a place that just did mot’s, top bloke, did his job and told you if anything needed doing. Having now moved home I had to find a new garage. Grandaughter had oil light come on in her car and dropped it into a garage for them to take a look. The garage checked it out and fitted a new sensor, charged her £32 which I reckon is the cost of the sensor and probably 15 minutes labour.

I took my classic which passed and they will get my daily driver too when its due.
Where's this garage?
Share their name.

Sponsored Links
Well, I've bought a total of two quids worth from them in two separate purchases qualifying me for two free mot's - one for the Golf and one for the A3. I’ll report back at the end of the year with details of how I got on with them. Should be fun if they fail. :)
It passed this morning. One down, one to go. I'll report back when the A3 has passed. Great value! :LOL:

Just a slight thumbs up for Halfords - I have a Mondeo and the wipers had the "Ford judder" for years. Only changed them when knackered, but various makes no better. Last time I saw Halford's own, a £ or so dearer, and bought them. That cured it, so well chuffed.

Well, obviously I’ll be checking them over first but there are things I can’t do now I have no access to certain equipment such as headlamp alignment, emissions or brake testing so we'll see whether they try to 'ave me over. :cautious: Oh, and I’ll demand to watch the test being done as they must allow you to. Worse case, I’ve lost a quid.

They will have some H&S rule, to prevent you getting too close. The one 3 year old company vehicle I took to them I told them to fix an MOT failure point, instead they made up a point of failure to get work, then failed to fix the obvious defect I had asked them to fix.

Just a slight thumbs up for Halfords - I have a Mondeo and the wipers had the "Ford judder" for years. Only changed them when knackered, but various makes no better. Last time I saw Halford's own, a £ or so dearer, and bought them. That cured it, so well chuffed.

That's interesting. We had a Mondeo ('06 2.0L Gia auto) for nine years & during that period wiper blades from Ford, Halfords & various outlets were used, all without anything more than the occasional judder that can be experienced with any car.
Perhaps a glass polish would help if the problem arises again ?

nb. the pundits say that the JAC auto-box on this model is on borrowed time after 80K, ours' had 170K on it & still going strong when the car was moved on two years ago :whistle:

Sprat to catch a mackerel - they are bound to find some work which needs to be done, whether it needs the work or not.
Well, they have been running it for the last three years now so it must be worth it to them.

Could just be a loss leader to make drivers aware of the repair side of the business. I was telling a customer of mine about it the other day (a vet) and he said he does loss leaders in his practice. They neuter kittens for £60 which is done at a loss with two vets in a theatre but 9 times out of 10 they will get that kitten as a 'patient' for the rest of its life.

Well, they have been running it for the last three years now so it must be worth it to them.

That was not my limited experience of them - When the company sent me with company car, to have it's first MOT, they claimed the headlights had suffered from 'drooping filaments' in the lamps, so they could charge for fitting replacements. I knew it was due to fail and pointed out a failed stop lamp to them ans asked that they replace it, even clearing space in the boot so they could replace it - did they replace it? No chance they passed it without even checking it. So much for their MOT's when they could not even pick up on the obvious things which were pointed out to them...

Perhaps a glass polish would help if the problem arises again ?
I may have tried that, but it's so long ago I'm not sure. I'll try it if I get the problem again
I seem to remember a similar judder with Cortinas and Sierras, that's why I called it a Ford judder.

They will have some H&S rule, to prevent you getting too close.
All mot stations must have a customer viewing area as per the MOT rules. Could be a cctv view or just be a roped off area of 2 sq metres in the workshop but they must have something.

Sponsored Links
Back