Hall and Porch Light switch replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'm probably being dumb but I'm struggling to replace a 2 gang switch that controls my hall and my front porch light. The hall light can also be switched on/off at the other end of the hall whereas the porch is just got the one switch.
Coming out of the wall is one black cable with a small brown sleeve on it and then 4 brown wires. The plastic switch I took off had two L1, L2 and L3 fittings whereas the one I am fitting has two L1, L2 and C fittings. The one I took off has a small bridge wire running from L1 to the other L1 (I think). I did the obvious DIY step and just tried to replicate what was already there but after around 2 hours and every possible combination I could think of I am stumped. Can anyone help please ?? Thank in advance.

Sponsored Links
L1 on the new is not the same function as L1 on the new

Old Switch..... L1 ..... L2 ..... L3
New Switch.... C ..... L1 ..... L2

On the new switch the link will be between the C terminals

If the new switch has a metal front plate then it MUST be earthed

Thank you Bernard, very much appreciated. The one black wire with the brown sleeve. Which terminal would that go to in the new switch, L1 L2 or C please ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back