Hall of horrors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm prepping my hall way and god is it a mess for what has one coat of paint on.

Is this silk emulsion? you think? Would it be a good idea to prime this with something?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx6--fM-4q6VV2ZSMXNiU2RDRnc/view?usp=sharing

Then onto the architrave, no wonder it had "caulk"....best advice to sort this bit out? Is there a foam on the market i've seen you can use for these sort of gaps? Or is filler going to be suitable?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx6--fM-4q6VZWlVN0ppN3Zhd00/view?usp=sharing

Sponsored Links
It could well be emulsion, but you should be able to rub it down and apply a primer, but I can't suggest which one would be best.

You'll need to dig the caulking out, and either use filler, or make sure the caulking goes in deep enough (caulkings cheap enough) to hold; they've just done a quick pass, and it's shrunk as it's dried. But the more you have to use, the more it'll shrink, so reckon t go over it at some stage.

Thanks Doggit,

I'm not sure on primer myself either. Other than bin 1-2-3 there isn't much about I can see on the cheaper side. I've got about 15sqm to cover.

Rub it down with 60 grit to give it a good key, and then try an acrylic primer, or a multi surface one.

Sponsored Links
Cheers, i'll probably end up forking out for some Bin 1-2-3 tbh. I've got similar paint in all of the other bedrooms and in all of them i've sanded and ended up doing two matt white trade coats and two matt final colour.

Massively key to get the landing/hall done as its going to be downlighted.

Tried some polyfilla flexible gap on the architrave gap, seemed caulky in consistency.

You could use some cheap oil based undercoat and thin it down to go over the silk finish after it has been rubbed down. This would be cheaper than the Zinsser.

Did a bit of sanding and first coat of white matt for base coat seems ok. I've got a few spots that just wouldn't stick, its weird. Might post later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back