hall thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the existing hall thermostat in my house is a 3 wire rather old rotary dial type which is hard to see the numbers.... an older version of this in dull brown and beige...1980?
$_35.JPG

i would like one with a digital readout and perhaps programmable

the boiler has a rotary timer built in with little pegs and is situated at the back of an airing cupboard
electro-mechanical-timer-12-hour_rdax_185x131.jpg

access is difficult with all the stuff mrs toad has airing in there and one needs a torch to see the timer anyway and once set is a bind to change.

i thought i could set the existing timer at ON, and then vary the heating periods more easily from the hall thermostat programmer.

cheers
geof

Sponsored Links
I replaced mine with a Danflos ? digital programmable room stat and left the bolier timer in 'ON' position, ie constant power to the thermostat it works realy well and cost me £40

DS

Yes, you can do that. You will have to get a programmable one to do it.

When you say three-wire, are you counting the earth wire?
If yes, is it wrongly used a a live?
If not are the other wires Red,Blue,Yellow or Brown,Black,Grey?

Sponsored Links

They also supply a battery unit for two wire stat replacement, if you do not have a neutral.

Regards,

DS

I replaced mine with a Danflos ? digital programmable room stat and left the bolier timer in 'ON' position, ie constant power to the thermostat it works realy well and cost me £40

DS

thanks
i will look now at danfoss
i am decorating the hall and the sooner the better i get it on the better

thanks

the existing wires are as you show red blue and yellow
red to 1
yellow to 3
blue to 4
on the terminal block

the earth is cut off at the outer grey insulation

cheers

Well my vote goes for the Honeywell CM901, can't speak for the Danfoss one
the more the merrier...thats what makes this forum so good...lots of experience and given freely in advice
cheers
geof

They also supply a battery unit for two wire stat replacement, if you do not have a neutral.

Regards,

DS

thanks again...the wiring is 3 plus earth..
so 3 wires doing the job and the earth cut off short and dead

Well my vote goes for the Honeywell CM901, can't speak for the Danfoss one
the more the merrier...thats what makes this forum so good...lots of experience and given freely in advice
cheers
geof
The honeywell is probably more expensive, you might be able to pick one up for around £50 though

been looking at the honewell installation guide pdf....there seems to be a multitude of wiring up diagrams
but it looks like a pretty well thought out T-P
cheers
geof

the existing wires are as you show red blue and yellow
red to 1
yellow to
blue to 4
Have you got the numbers right?

That's ok then, you can have a mains operated one if you want.

i have rewired it temporarily to the old thermostat as i am wallpapering
but i will check the numbers...thanks

yes that is what i want...i had some trouble with battery operated room thermostats in my last house although it was single wire to relays for underfloor heating zone actuators
:(

Danfoss TP7001M is a decent one. Up to 6 different termperatures/times per day, you can have each day different as well if required.
Has a white backlight, rather than the vile blue ones that seem popular with certain other manufacturers.
Make sure it's the M version which is mains powered. The TP7001 is battery powered.

I have fitted a Horstmann HRFS1 Programmable Room Thermostat in my mother's house. Not perfect see this post on positions but I do see an advantage of being able to move it's location with ease and so find the best compromise.

I have a similar one myself early version of the Horstmann DRT2 Programmable Digital Room Thermostat much cheaper but same idea, however my cheap one has 4 times Mon - Fri all the same and two times Sat and Sun independent of each other, where the wireless on has 5 times independent for 7 days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back