Halogen bulb blew, tripped, now won't power back up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All - new here, have searched the forums, read the FAQ but electrics mystify me somewhat.

In my kitchen I had 2 standard light bulbs hanging from ceiling roses which a sparky replaced with 2 x 4-way halogen units about 6 months ago. All has been fine.

Tonight, hit the switch for one of the sets of halogen lights and there was a bit of a bang and a tripped switch. Identified which bulb had blown, replaced, put the trip switch back but now none of the 4 bulbs will come on. The switch which was turned on is one of two on a double switch, the other switch is for an outside light which still functions.

Any ideas?

Thanks............Sam

Sponsored Links
Do you mean that 1 fitting is working & the other is not?Is it a mains halogen fitting or L.V.? If it is the latter then the transformer has probably blown.

Hi,

It's a mains halogen fitting. I've two of them working from 2 different switches in the kitchen.

The one that's failed is operated from a double switch, the other switch operates the outside light which still works. All bulbs are checked, reset the trip but nothing...........

Sponsored Links
Now check for loose connections or damaged insulation. If you're confident to do this yourself, first isolate the circuit by switching off at the consumer unit, then check the connections in the switch. Make sure that the other switch on the 'double' switch is on the same circuit and is 'dead'.

Then check the connections in the ceiling roses or connectors, then the wiring to the fitting and final links to the lamp holders. The connectors are generally cheap, mass-produced items and a lead may come loose when a lamp is twisted during replacement. The heat from the lamps often degrades the insulation on the wires or on the actual lampholders which may show signs of scorching. These can be bought from electrical shops (and will be about 50% th price form B&Q!)

PS if they really are only six months old they will still be under guarantee and so should the electrician's work.

So SELVIS is dead then...?!

.... and that's probably the last sensible thing George Michael said too!

(Sorry, just getting into the bacardi & cokes while reading these - Merry Christmas!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back