Bulbs blowing out or fuse tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since moving in, I've picked up some minor issues with wiring (a spur off the CU was just hanging from the wall and caused a poor connection which meant a socket wasn't powered; a bathroom extractor fan just didn't work) and I'm looking to get an electrician in to work out what's been going on.

Probably 6 times in 8 months I've had a fuse in the consumer unit trip. The first time, I stood on the bed and knocked my head on the heavy light fixture which tripped the CU and a bulb had blown out when I flipped the fuse switch. I've had three bulbs blow whilst in use which then need replacing. I've had the alley external light blow which then tripped the CU. Twice I've had the CU trip when I've switched on all lights downstairs.

The bulbs are IKEA halogen ones, and I'm planning to replace them for LED ones. The halogen GU10 bulbs in the kitchen and utility have already been switched for LED versions.

Is it down to being unlucky, dodgy bulbs or dodgy wiring? Are there any basic or simple things I can do for the time being until I get the electrician in?

Sponsored Links
The tungsten bulb when it blows can cause the gases inside the bulb to ionise which is seen as a bright flash as the bulb blows and causes a near short circuit for the fraction of a second when it happens. The bulb should have an internal fuse which will blow before the fuse in the consumer unit so you don't need to replace the fuse. However where a miniature contact braker (MCB) is used these have two methods of detecting overload. The thermal device is with a direct short slower than a fuse so it also has a magnetic device which will work within a fraction of a second. To stop this tripping too often the B type will trip at 3 to 5 times the thermal rating however bulbs blowing will still often result in the MCB opening. This is normal.

With fluorescent and LED lamps there is less likely hood of ionisation so also less likely to open trip when they fail.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back