Same Bulb Keeps Blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved into a new house this year. In the kitchen was a 4-way spotlight bar with halogen GU10s.

For some reason, one of the bulbs would keep blowing. We went through countless bulbs over the last few months - both cheap and expensive brands. I understand this is quite common with this type of bulb but what niggled me was it was always in the same position on the spotlight bar.

Now we've just had a new fitting installed by an electrician. Again, a 4-way spotlight bar but this time using LED GU10s. This was great until this evening when one of the bulbs blew, triping the circuit breaker. Guess which one it was? The one in the same position that kept blowing the halogen bulbs.

So, my question is: is this just a coincidence? Is it a dodgy LED bulb that happened to be in the same "cursed" position? I used to wonder whether there was a problem with the wiring in the old fitting, but this is a brand new fitting so it is unlikely to be that. Could it be in the wiring to the light fitting? Although how would that cause the same bulb to blow each time?

If you could shed some light (ho ho!) on this issue, I'd be very grateful.

Sponsored Links
Most probably coincidence, especially with it being a new fitting.

Can't be the wiring to the fitting, as it would effect all 4 spots in the same way, essentially what happens with a spot bar is the Live and Neutral come in, and are split 4 ways to each spotlight in parallel but with all 4 sets of internal wiring originating from where your terminate the fixed wiring.

Like number 3 here
electrics:lighting:series-parallel.jpg

Thanks a lot. That makes sense to me.

Can you think of any other reason why the bulb in that position keeps blowing? It is always the one on the end, if that makes any difference? The fitting is positioned almost above a kettle - could that affect it at all?

I thought changing to LED bulbs would save me having to replace them so often, so I'm keen to find out what's going on before I start shovelling more money away on replacements!

The kettle could affect it in theory - water & electricity don't go well together obviously

Replace the lamp and move it away from the kettle for a bit, see if the problem goes away

Sponsored Links
Fit LED`s and you'll not have problems anything like the short lived life of tungsten Halogen`s, they draw high current, causing burnt out connections, they also run so hot the filaments burn out, the high running & replacement costs are a big NO NO !
LED`s are the way forward, new types are coming out every week, Brighter for less watts, Lower costs to buy & run, Better colour temps, wider beam angles, choices of end caps, etc.
I have replace all my lamps with LED`s the power consumption has gone down dramatically, improved colour & light levels, Last so much longer & come on to full brightness instantly. Is that what we all want ?
Some LED`s can be dimmed or even a good selection of bright colours, -- if that`s your fancy.
PS. "Lamps" are for plugging in and turning on. " Bulbs" are planted in the garden.

Oh believe me, I was fully behind LEDs and clued up to their benefits. However, with one apparently blowing within a week, I'm not completely impressed so far...

Oh believe me, I was fully behind LEDs and clued up to their benefits. However, with one apparently blowing within a week, I'm not completely impressed so far...

Take it back. It's faulty and retailers are responsible for the goods they sell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back