Halogen downlight with dimmer. Low or Main voltage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want to install new lighting in my lounge and have started to look around for a possible solutions. I want a good flexibilty i.e light different picture on the wall (that may move) and be able to dim for different atmosphere. Note that I have access to the lounge's ceiling from above but I will need to lift some floor boards.

First I realised that those Halogen lights are available in both low and main voltage. What is best?

A question for which I cannot find an answer is will I be saving energy when dimming the light?

There are currently two conventional on/off switches in my lounge. I did not expect to have been able to dim from both location but looking at the following:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Systems/TouchRemote.htm
It looks like it is possible? Is that right?

thanks for your help

Jerome

Sponsored Links
With mains and low voltage, it is really up to you. Many people think that low voltage lights produce a nicer light, somthing that I'd agree with.
However mains voltage are cheaper and easier to install

You may be saving energy if your dimming the lights, but you'd be getting a reduced light output, the best thing I'd recomend is just using bulbs of a lower wattage. Having slightly more 20w halogen lights looks far better in terms of coverage of light, and is bright enough in most cases.

ChrisRogers said:
You may be saving energy if your dimming the lights, but you'd be getting a reduced light output, the best thing I'd recomend is just using bulbs of a lower wattage. Having slightly more 20w halogen lights looks far better in terms of coverage of light, and is bright enough in most cases.
Also if the lighting is for paintings I don't know how seriously you take your art but dimming the lamp will change the colour temperature of it and affect the rendition of colours in the artwork.

Jerome said:
First I realised that those Halogen lights are available in both low and main voltage. What is best?
I'd agree with the others that on balance, mains voltage is better. (BTW - it's my turn for the pedant's hat this week, so I have to point out that officially the mains supply is Low Voltage, and what you refer to as low voltage is officially known as Extra Low Voltage)

A question for which I cannot find an answer is will I be saving energy when dimming the light?
At the point of delivery, yes. Whole life-cycle energy savings, and net financial savings? Dunno. Best to look on dimming as a mood thing, as dimming halogens can shorten their lives.

There are currently two conventional on/off switches in my lounge. I did not expect to have been able to dim from both location but looking at the following:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Systems/TouchRemote.htm
It looks like it is possible? Is that right?
Yup - intelligent master-slave dimmers will work in n-way circuits.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys,

It all start to make sense. I've got to say the how-to section has also helped a lot. congrats to those who contributed.

A few questions remain:

I still don't know whether to go for 240V or 12V type. Now that I understand that 240V don't need a tranformer, that the current will be less (i.e no need for bigger wires and less power loss in the cable) and that they are somehow easier to dim, What is the point of having a 12v version? why doesn't the 240v overtakes it? (most webshop seem to have a greater choice in 12v stuff)

My next question is about those VARILIGHT master-slave dimmer. I assume that the actual dimming is only done by the master, the slave only send a 'signal' to the master to dim up/down. Thus both the master and slave must have a power consumption, is that right? if so how much will that be approximatelly? (I could not find that anywhere)

PS: My frame are only cheap photos that I have framed not real paintings, I am just worried about getting a better ambient light really. Currently the room is really dark, one window facing north, a small 80W bulb with a dark lamp shade.

Jerome

I've got mains (GU10) lighting in my kitchen and ELV (12v) in my bathroom. To be honest, I can't see any difference in the "quality" of the light. The practical differences as far as I'm concerned, is that I'd rather use ELV lighting in a "higher-risk" area like the bathroom, though I accept that there's still mains cabling to the transformer and to the switch anyway of course...

Hi all,

I still haven't made my mind up about what to use, I have a couple more questions:

1- At equivalent power consumption which solution produces more light?
(the ELV 12V or GU10/GZ10 240v)

2- At same bulb Wattage, which of the two solution consume more power?
(i.e is the tranformator used in 12V solution chew up a lot of power?)

3- I have to install my light in very small space, lounge is on the ground floor the bedroom is just above, there is only 150mm between the lounge ceiling and the bedroom floorboard. Would both 240V and 12V solution be suited to this type of environment?

Cheers for your help

Jerome

Jerome said:
Hi all,

I still haven't made my mind up about what to use, I have a couple more questions:

1- At equivalent power consumption which solution produces more light?
(the ELV 12V or GU10/GZ10 240v)
Both cover a range, and the ranges overlap quite a bit, but at the extreme I think that the best ELVs are better than the best LVs. Also the colour of ELVs tends to be whiter, which appears brighter to our eyes. But there really isn't a lot in it.

2- At same bulb Wattage, which of the two solution consume more power?
(i.e is the tranformator used in 12V solution chew up a lot of power?)
Not a great deal - they'd get very hot if they did...

3- I have to install my light in very small space, lounge is on the ground floor the bedroom is just above, there is only 150mm between the lounge ceiling and the bedroom floorboard. Would both 240V and 12V solution be suited to this type of environment?
There is a much wider range of lamp types available in 12V, allowing some very low-profile fittings (e.g. the thickness of the plasterboard), but 150mm is ample (that's what I tell my wife :LOL: ). Are you concerned about physical space, or heat?

I'd say that your best bet is to choose the lights that you like, and that will fit in, and fit in with, your room, and not worry too much about what sort they are. If there are a number of equally likeable ones, LV are easier to install, easier to dim, and (allowing for the cost of quality transformers) cheaper like-for-like. But if you fall in love with a particular light, get it whether it's 12V or 230V.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back