Low Voltage Or Mains Voltage Bathroom Downlighters?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am at the point where I will be installing new lighting to my bathroom.

I want to be able to dim my main lighting so I have bought a pull cord dimmer. This allows a maximum of 250 watts of lighting.

I have been looking at the various downlighters and still cannot work out whether to go for low voltage or mains voltage downlighters.

I realise there is more to go wrong with low voltage (ie, transformer) but the cost of a replacement transformer is only a few quid so would not be fussed about this aspect, if low voltage was a better option. Also from research both low and mains voltage can be dimmed with the correct transformers.

The only minus point I can see for low voltage (other than cost of transformer) is that there doesn't appear to be a low energy type of lamp that can fit to them, (or at least I've not seen any and not many low energy lamps can be dimmed anyway).

Has anyone got any recommendations or advice? Is low voltage a good idea to go for a bathroom or is the fact that the circuit being on an RCD would negate the need for low voltage over mains anyway?

Incidentally, has anyone used the downlighter products from toolstation / screwfix as I was thinking of purchasing them from there as they seem to be a good price (not sure on the quality though).

Thanks in advance,

Daz

Sponsored Links
you'll need IP rated for in a bathroom.. steam into the ceiling void / loft isn't a good idea..

mains if you want to dim, otherwise you have to buy dimmable transformers..

in general halogens shouldn't be dimmed it drastically reduces the life of the lamps.

if you want to have less light in there, use lower wattage lights and add more of them, then switch some off.. what I like to call binary dimming.. :)

a bathroom is a functional place so why go for mood lighting? if you want to soak in the tub for hours with a glass of chardonay and a gush novel, then get the pre-requisite scented canfdles and use those instead..

I have been looking at the various downlighters and still cannot work out whether to go for low voltage or mains voltage downlighters.
For reference 230v is low voltage. 12v is extra low voltage. I've only mentioned that now to save the inevitable onslaught. ;)

Has anyone got any recommendations or advice? Is low voltage a good idea to go for a bathroom or is the fact that the circuit being on an RCD would negate the need for low voltage over mains anyway?
What zone are you installing the lighting in? You may have to use extra low voltage anyway. Make sure that you have enough lamps to light the room adequately - especially if the donwlights were replacing a single fitting. Also, don't use the cheapest bulbs. Makes such as OSRAM, GE, Phillips etc are far better quality that the cheapies and will save you having to change the bulbs so often.

Have a look here for info on Part P. Electrical work in a bathroom is notifiable.

Sponsored Links
do the light actually count as "in" the zone? technically they are in the loft, with the light shining through a hole in the ceiling...:)
and unless he's got a particularily low ceiling then most lights would be outside of the zones anyway ( 2.25m )..

connection to the switch would be though..
:LOL:

I don't suppose they would agree with that technicality but all of the connection are not in bathroom.

you'd have to connect at the switch, which would be notifiable, or disconnect from the ceiling rose, again notifiable..
then again it's a special installation so it's notifiable for that reason ( not a pre-assembled lighting set )..

For reference 230v is low voltage. 12v is extra low voltage. I've only mentioned that now to save the inevitable onslaught. ;)
"Onslaught"?

The IEC definitions of voltage bands are:
  • Extra Low Voltage: AC below 50V and DC below 120V
  • Low Voltage: 50 - 1000V AC or 120 - 1500V DC
  • Medium voltage: 1kV - 35kV
  • High voltage: 35kV - 230kV
  • Extra-high voltage: >230kV
But it's not some pedantic technical point, and correcting people's use is not a way to appear superior. If they start getting involved in doing their own electrical work, and start learning about regulations etc they'll come across references to "Low voltage", and it'll be no good them thinking that that means 12V...

I Has anyone got any recommendations or advice?
Yes.

Don't install that type of lighting - i.e. small diameter recessed downlights (or spotlights as they are sometimes more accurately called), at any voltage and with any type of lamp. They are not designed to provide general room illumination, they are designed to highlight, or spotlight, specific items or features - they came out of the retail display market.

Add to that the following problems if you live in England or Wales:
  • They are notifiable.
  • You'll be having to notify controlled work which will make the house less energy efficient than it was before - they might not agree to it.
  • If there is a loft above you'll have to do extra work to ensure that you don't contravene Part L wrt loft insulation and Part C.
  • If there's a flat roof above it will be impossible in practice to not contravene Parts L and C.

And even if not notifiable, the practical issues of loft insulation and condensation still apply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back