Halogen light fitting blowing fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone - and Happy Christmas!

The house I live in was rewired about 2 yrs ago - the previous occupants passed on the certificate etc to us. My partner fitted a 2 halogen light fitting (one in the dining room and one in the living room) about 3 months ago and both worked fine until last night when the living room one stopped working - and blew the lighting circuit. He's checked the light switch and the connections to the light - all look OK. No bulbs have obviously gone (they are very small ones with two prongs to fit them with) - though I am not sure how they would look if they had blown. The light still doesn't work and now the light switch won't stay in the 'on' position - it pops back to off. We have a fair bit of trouble with the fuses going (and we aren't sure why - but that's another story!). What should we check next? Any ideas on what it might be and what we should do on Christmas eve (except light some candles!)

Sponsored Links
If they are 12v lamps then it is probably the transformer in the fitting that has gone, it also sounds as though the switch has failed coincidently at the same time, but I am a bit concerned that you say it was rewired 2 years ago but still has fuses.

Think I probably mean something other than fuses - I have to ping a switch back up? Technically, am much better shopping than DIY - stereotypical but true.

Thanks for your advice - he's replaced the switch and switch works but still no lights, we'll have a romantic Christmas eve and replace the transformer shortly.

Have a good one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back