Halogen Light Rope Kit Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of questions:

1. I have bought a Halogen Wire Rope kit. It comes with 8m of cable but this is not enough for me to site the transformer in the position I want it. The transformer is 105VA so can I use 1.5mm2 cable to 'extend' the output of the transformer to a position nearer to where I want to connect the wire for the halogen lamps?

2. Can I wire the transformer into the ceiling rose just like a light? The transformer comes with a 3 pin plug (but no earth of course) so I guess I can just wire it in?

All help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If i understand you correctly you are saying that the 8 m of cable is long enough to span your mounting positions, but that you can not get the transformer close enough?

If so it really depend on how many lamps you aregoing to fit, at 12volts quite abit of current is drawn, i would suggest 2.5mm cable to be sure and to allow for voltage drop.

And yes you can wire it into the existing ceiling rose. The easiest way would be to remove the flex to the existing light and to connect the transformer to where the flex was.

Correct - the span is fine but I want to mount the transformer in a position where I can reach it by lifting a floorboard.

The kit comes complete with 8m cable, 2*20W halogen bulbs and the 105VA transformer. The output of the tranformer is rated at 8.75A.

In fact, I have two kits - so I'm assuming I can wire both into the same ceiling rose?

Since the second kit will have a surplus of wire - I should be able to use that as the extension wiring right? So don't need the 1.5mm2?

BTW, any idea how hot these type of transformers get and the suggested air space around them.

BTW, thanks for your help.

The transformer get warm not hot, its the l;amps that get very hot.

Yes you can wire both sets of transformers into the same ceiling rose, but if you only have 4 lights in total you can run them from the same transformer (so long as they are not something like 500w each.

The only problem i can see is keeping the wires apart, most kits i have seen they are NOT insulated, if they do touch (assuming they are not insulated) something will give the question is what? either way it will be very dangerous

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that - the lamps will bw hanging down from the kitchen ceiling so that's not a problem regarding heat dispersion.

I need the two transformers since I have a total or 10 lights @ 20W each.
The 2 * 20W should have read 5 * 20W - sorry.

Anyway, the cable supplied is 2.5mm diameter stranded and clear plastic coated so it won't matter if they touch. FYI, the lamps connect to the wire via vampire tap screws so that's the only place thet plastic coating would be compromised.

Thanks again for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back