Halogen lighting below kitchen wall units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought some halogen lights to fit at the bottom of my kitchen wall units, to light the worktop and to create nice 'ambient' lighting in the kitchen.

My kitchen units don't have a valance below, although it's not a problem to buy matching valance, so I can do that if need be.

When I look at this type of lighting in shops that sell kitchens, all I see is the light below the unit, I don't see any wires, and I don't see the transformer either.

What is the best way to fit the halogen lights to the bottom of the units, without showing the wiring etc? How do I 'hide' the cable and the transformer?

I'm a diy novice, so all suggestions will be considered. I just want to make the lighting look good without all the bits showing.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
the ones you have seen are probably purpose built with the lights built in during construction.

you can get surface mount halogen ljghts but you will only see the cable if you look fir it

why not use the slimline lighting tubes, designed for that type of thing. Theyre cheap and dont need a transformer. Wont throw out as much heat as a halogen either

I agree, I have just used slimline 'triphosphor' tubes in my kitchen and they were a lot easier to fit than halogen cabinet downlights I have used in the past. They can be hidden behind a fairly small lighting pelmet.

Sponsored Links
Fluorescents under units win over halogens every time. Thinner, no transformer and a LOT less heat. Apart from a modest sized valance you might need something else; a means of closing off the small gaps between units. If you don't do anything about it you will see bright vertical lines of light shining through those gaps that you never knew you had - and unless you're a b****y good carpenter you'll get light leakage above the valance too. Some shops use sticky tape for this. I wonder how long it stays stuck.

Too late, mate!! ;)

I've already bought the halogen lights, so I won't be buying fluorescent lighting now :(

Never mind. Fixing the lights to the units isn't a problem - done that already - but its what to do with the wires and the transformer. Looks like I need a valance.

As for the light showing through the joins of the valance, that's a good point, and something to bear in mind. I'm sure there's a workaround, anyway.

You're right about the heat, though. No need to warm the plates before serving dinner :cool:

Could you put the transfer and the wiring inside the units and then drill a small hole to drop the cables down ??

You could fill any joints with decorators caulking, this comes in tube like mastic but it cant be painted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back