replacing kitchen unit lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace two existing (vile) strip lights under my corner kitchen units with (lovely) halogen lights. I have a kit with a transformer and three lights which will do the job nicely if I can get it wired up right.

The strip lights are wired directly into the 3-core lighting circuit, but the instructions with the halogen kit clearly call for a 2-core (live and neutral) connection. Do I have to fit a junction box with an extra bit of cable to the transformer? What do I do with the earth wires if I do that?

Sponsored Links
i assume you mean they are double insulated and do not require an earth? if so, then put the earth in a terminal block, and wire the switched live and neutral into the light

So do I still need a junction box and 2 core flex, or can I just wire the transformer straight into the circuit and block off the earth?

Sponsored Links
you can wire it direct, but if yo can get the transformer there for whatever reason you can use a JB and flex. however, if you do use a JB then it must be accessable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back