wire track halogen lights (transformer)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello i hope someone can help? :LOL:

i have bought a set of wiretrack halogen lights and i am confused to how to wire up the transformer. the old lights i have removed to find three live wires (red) together three earth (green & Yellow ) wires together and two neutral (black) going in to the live of the old light and one nuetral (Black) going in to the neutral of the old light. do i use the three black wires that are running into the old light and wire them in to the transformer the same as the old light ( two black to the live and the one black to the neutral) i know the wires are all connected to the switches i jus need to know if i copy the wiring and insteasd of the light i jus replace it with the transformer. many thanks

a newbie

Sponsored Links
Basically, yes. Assuming you previously had a pendant light fitting, diconnect the brown and blue and connect the brown and blue with the transformer. The other "confusing" wires form the loop-in to other light fittings, which needn't worry you. If you want to alter the switching arrangements, get back to us, otherwise it's reasonably simple. I assume the transformer is going to live above the ceiling or surface mounted near the old fitting?

jeffijaffa said:
i have bought a set of wiretrack halogen lights and i am confused to how to wire up the transformer. the old lights i have removed to find three live wires (red) together three earth (green & Yellow ) wires together and two neutral (black) going in to the live of the old light and one nuetral (Black) going in to the neutral of the old light.
That last black you mention is NOT a neutral, it is a switched live. Think for a minute about what you've described - according to you you have neutrals going to both sides of the old light, which just can't work, can it?

do i use the three black wires that are running into the old light and wire them in to the transformer the same as the old light ( two black to the live and the one black to the neutral)
That would work fine, but you should take the opportunity to connect the right wires to the right terminals - the two blacks currently joined together are neutrals, and so should really go to the neutral terminal of the transformer, not the live. The black on its own is the switched live, and you should mark it with a bit of red sleeving or red tape, and connect it to the live terminal of the transformer, not the neutral. The transformer will work the same either way round, but there's no point in being perverse about how you connect it up.

you may want to look in "sticky for reference" to see how it was wired

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
there's no point in being perverse about how you connect it up.

Ah, spoilsport....I like being perverse...... :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back