Ikea light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a light from Ikea with a live and neutral box. On removing old light I have found three black/brown wires, a earth wire ( not needed) and three red wires attached to a terminal.
Anyone know where to attach the three black/brown wires to the live and neutral terminal on the new Ikea fitting?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 211
Sponsored Links
You connect the live and neutral of the new light to the same wires as the live and neutral of the old light were.

Conventionally that would be live to the single black and neutral to the other two blacks.

If not needed. put a terminal block on the earth wires so that they are connected together.

There should be three earth wires. The picture seems to show only two. Make sure all are sleeved in GY sleeving and all conductors are securely attached to a 5A terminal block or Wago.

The three reds can be left alone. They only attach to each other, not to any other wiring.

I think I can see a third earth wire, cut a bit short and therefore probably not connected. (Need all three connected to each other.)

Sponsored Links
The other thing to watch out for
light from Ikea with a live and neutral box
earth wire ( not needed)

That sound like there is a possibility that this is a metallic construction class 2 fitting, that relies on an enclosed connector block, complete with a rubber boot to cover unsheathed conductors going into it, to maintain double insulation (someone I am sure will post a picture). All fine and dandy if you have one cable comming in, but presented with three plate wiring, its difficult to see how many of these fittings could be installed in a way that remains class 2.

Then again, it might not be like that at all. OP, can you post a picture of the wiring and connectors on the new fitting?

All fine and dandy if you have one cable comming in
And often it has to be a round cable.

but presented with three plate wiring, its difficult to see how many of these fittings could be installed in a way that remains class 2.
A junction box somewhere close, with flex running to the light.

switch3.jpg

Traditionally a round JB like this was used:

upload_2018-3-4_12-49-15.png

These days I suspect a maintenance free one would be more likely.

Also, may be worth re-stripping ALL the wire ends as they may be damaged/weakened.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back