IKEA pendant light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IKEA pendant light

Little help needed please. Seen some complicated ways to wire up these pendant lights from ikea but I was wondering if, I could simply cut off the existing pendant wire a third of the ways up and strip back the cables and simply connect the live and neutral to the ikea pendant? Any help welcome… could get an electrician out but if I could learn something then why not? IMG_7328.jpegIMG_7329.jpeg

Sponsored Links
IKEA pendant light

Little help needed please. Seen some complicated ways to wire up these pendant lights from ikea but I was wondering if, I could simply cut off the existing pendant wire a third of the ways up and strip back the cables and simply connect the live and neutral to the ikea pendant? Any help welcome… could get an electrician out but if I could learn something then why not? View attachment 344004View attachment 344003
You are joking ?

You are joking ?
About which bit?

Connecting light fittings using a ceiling rose is acceptable as long as the flex is replaced with a 3 core one in cases where the luminaire is Class I, IE requires an earth connection. If the luminaire is double insulated, the existing twin flex can be used, assuming of course it is long enough and the connections can be safely made in a suitable enclosure.

How the OP proposes to fix the IKEA luminaire to the ceiling is another matter.

Often I have found luminaires like this mounted adjacent to or near the ceiling rose that feeds them.

In cases where the fitting is to be mounted where the rose is situated, it is best to remove the rose and make off the connections inside the cup of the replacement fitting.

Sponsored Links
About which bit?
The "bit" was
"I was wondering if, I could simply cut off the existing pendant wire a third of the ways up and strip back the cables and simply connect the live and neutral to the ikea pendant?"

(This appears to be a request to "cut off the existing pendant wire a third of the ways up and strip back the cables and simply connect the live and neutral " on the pendant cable.)

ikea pendant ?

At which part?

In space ?

Where?

How?

Last edited:
Here‘s how I interpret the pictures and what I thin would be the easiest way to do what you want.

1) The first picture shows the flex and push-in connector of the Ikea light, correct?
2) If that‘s the case, I‘d take pictures of the current wiring, disconnect the flex from the pendant currently on the ceiling, remove the push-in connector from the Ikea lead and connect that to the ceiling rose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back