Ikea Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I went out and bought a pendant light from ikea and I just need some advice about wiring.

Heres a photo of the current wiring configuration and also a snippet from the very helpful ikea manual.

Could you give me some advice about the best way to wire up this new light and what connectors I'd need?

Thanks

Attachments

• Light 3.png
    Light 3.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,069
  • Manual.jpg
    Manual.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 2,933
Sponsored Links
Out of interest ONLY... why can't the OP simply use a short length of the live and neutral cables running to the pendant (as in, 1. As it is originally in Gerry's reply) and secure them into the new fitting?

Sponsored Links
Out of interest ONLY... why can't the OP simply use a short length of the live and neutral cables running to the pendant (as in, 1. As it is originally in Gerry's reply) and secure them into the new fitting?
The 'original' is a generic white plastic ceiling rose. The new lamp comes with a decorative ceiling rose, so the old one has to be removed and the wiring moved into the new fitting or into a junction box in the floor space.

You could retain the existing rose, providing the IKEA cup will cover it, and you can find a way of supporting the weight of the light fitting b

The usual DIY method I have seen countless times (and one I do NOT recommend) is the rose cover being removed, a ceiling hook and plate fixed using the roses fixing screws (on top of the wiring!!!!) then the fitting suspended from the hook and the cup drawn up to the ceiling.

Great thank you so much for that diagram!

Just to clarify (I'm a complete newbie) so the switch wire and 2 neutrals will go into the Ikea connector and the 3 loop wires will go into a separate connector? However in the manual it shows two live and two neutral wires going to and from the ikea connector. Is this because it is based on european wiring?

Thanks in advance

However in the manual it shows two live and two neutral wires going to and from the ikea connector. Is this because it is based on european wiring?
The image you posted shows the switch wire and neutral wire coming from the ceiling, and the two wires that go from the connector to the light bulb (which usually come pre-wired into the connector). I don't see any other wires going to and from...

[/QUOTE]
The image you posted shows the switch wire and neutral wire coming from the ceiling, and the two wires that go from the connector to the light bulb (which usually come pre-wired into the connector). I don't see any other wires going to and from...[/QUOTE]

Haha yes you're right. I mistook the hook in the diagram for another wire going up into the ceiling. My bad!

Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back