Replacing Ceiling Pendant with Ikea Halogen Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to replace my ceiling pendant with a new Ikea light.

The ceiling pendant currently has two sets of wires coming into it, one from the switch and one from the power. The two live wires are connected together through the pendant and the neutral(switch) is to the pendant live and the neutral (power) to the pendant Neutral.

The ikea light only has two sets of terminals (live & nuetral).

Am I correct in assuming the only way to wire this new light is by connecting the two live wires using a block and connecting the neutral(switch) is to the live terminal in the light and the neutral (power) to the Neutral terminal in the light?

Any help much appreciated.

Jeet

Sponsored Links
Your method sounds OK to me - the black (should be sleeved red) from the switch is called "switched live". The earths (sleeved gn/y) need to connect to the terminal on the fitting unless it is double insulated in which case they need to be joined to together in block. Make sure the blocks are in a place where the heat from the lamp doesn't effect them, the blocks need to be housed in the enclosure.

Jeet - do some reading up on lighting circuits - not all of those black (or blue) wires you can see are neutrals...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advise.

Is there a need to wrap tape around the block?

Jeet

No, it just creates a sticky mess for when you decide you don't like the Ikea lights anymore (or the government bans the lamps that it takes ;) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back