Installing Ikea light fitting with different wiring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I wonder if you can help –

I am wiring in a new light pendant from Ikea.

In the past whenever I’ve fitted light fittings I’ve just replaced the wiring into the like for like sockets in the new fitting. However, this one is a bit different.

I’m replacing a standard pendant light that has three feeds coming into it like this –

Whereas the Ikea light fitting has input of only one set, like this -

What would be the best way to do this so it was done properly/ safely? The ikea hollow pendant (doesn’t have a base that screws to the ceiling, just a hollow chamber, and a hook to keep it up) does have space for a small junction box if that is needed.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Use a junction box to terminate all the conductors ,fitted above the ceiling ,and run a two core cable from it to the light fittings terminal block.
A maintenance free junction box must be used if it is not accessible .

Last edited:
Thanks for responding terry. Apologies if this is a basic question, is there a certain kind of junction box that would be best for this job? Any particular one you recommend? Just so I know I’m looking for the right thing when searching online.
Cheers.

Ashley J804 maintenance free junction box.
Is there a loft above the ceiling ? If so and the junction box would be accessible then a maintenance free JB is not required.

Sponsored Links
The pre-fitted connector block and the pre-fitted flex hardly look double insulated.

What's the cup made out of? Is there an earth terminal anywhere? This is important.

Possibly, to save the op a lot of fuss, can't he just join his ceiling wires with four 6amp connector blocks within the cup of the new fitting, and run two short wires from this joint to the pre-fitted connector block?

Saves all the faff, doesn't it?

I’m replacing a standard pendant light that has three feeds coming into it like this –

One cable feeds power, another takes power on to another ceiling rose and the third cable goes to the switch. This one is the cable with the sleeve on the blue wire which is the Switched Live from the switch. That sleeved blue connects to the Live wire to the lamp.

Sparkwright's suggestion is a good one

Fez,
Everyone's answers above are all correct.

But I am wondering if it is over complicating it a bit.

Do you want / need the copper coloured metal shroud/cover?

I ask because For this type of Ikea light I would:
- leave and don't touch the wiring setup on the ceiling that you already have.
- on your Ikea lamp cut off the connector that says "L N",
- pull the cable out of the copper shroud
- throw the copper shroud away.
- And then attach the IKEA lamp cables into the existing clear/white light fitting in the same manner that you had for your old light (your picture in the top right).

SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back