Do I need to Earth this upcycled copper pendant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've taken an IKEA triple pendant ceiling light and fitted it into these copper pipes. The IKEA light fitting only has live and neutral wire (blue and brown), but the ceiling rose I'm planning to wire into has an earth. Someone told me that as this light was designed to be all plastic and I'm now adding metal it now should be earthed? Is this true, and if so how? All the wiring is well insulated from the copper.

Attachments

• 1466976622231-283031782.jpg
    1466976622231-283031782.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 407
Sponsored Links
I've taken an IKEA triple pendant ceiling light and fitted it into these copper pipes. The IKEA light fitting only has live and neutral wire (blue and brown), but the ceiling rose I'm planning to wire into has an earth. Someone told me that as this light was designed to be all plastic and I'm now adding metal it now should be earthed? Is this true, and if so how? All the wiring is well insulated from the copper.
Hank - what made you think that you were competent and knowledgeable enough to start designing and making electrical appliances?

Sponsored Links
Nice design. You will need an earth connection to your metalwork.

Regards,

DS

Looks great, i ass ume you would put one on each fitting ? Tie wrapped of course :D

DS

Not at all, i have had my breakfast - fried egg + brown sauce (y)

DS

If you have continuity end to end then a simple small nut, star washer and bolt at the cap end with an eyelet crimp on a bit of sleeved earth will do the job.

Good to see the cynical aspect of this DIYnot section is still actively cynical.

You must have had to extend the Ikea wiring so you had better earth it.
I wonder how he got the cables through after soldering it all up?

Me too, it looks like three 2core flexes coming out the top.
When I rebuild fittings i use a long length of solid link jewelery chain, shake and twist the fitting as you feed it in, its surprising what you can get it to do, then use that to pull in one insulated core of stripped flex, then use that as the main draw wires

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back