Halogen lighting in circuit with conventional bulb?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Amongst other things I am rewiring the kitchen lights. I have 2 gang dimmer, 1G to 4x 12V halogen ceiling lights - work perfectly.

The other G is the problem, connected to a standard bulb pendant light - works perfectly. In this same circuit I also introduced some 12V under cupboard lights which will also work perfectly but not together with the bulb fitted. After 2 or 3 secs all lights will flicker and the 12V units will hum. I then remove the bulb and the 12V lights behave as they should or conversely switch off the 12V lights (ea unit has a switch - IKEA) and the bulb is OK. There is somehow an incompatability here.

Perhaps I need to replace the bulb with a halogen unit?

Sponsored Links
thanks for suggeted solution but I have 4x 12V 10w and a 60W bulb going through a 400W Dimmer. And the buzzing and flickering I get even when the dimmer is turned up full.

There's more to dimmability than the wattage rating! I agree with TTC's second suggestion, that the IKEA stuff is not dimmable, or at least not compatible with your dimmer.

Sponsored Links
Try joining the wires on that switch together and see if the same thing happens without the dimmer in circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back