Halogen lights keep blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone think of reasons why the halogen lights in my flat keep blowing. I have had no problems for over a year and now they are blowing one by one.

Any suggestions gratefuly received.

Sponsored Links
End of use life, and like lemmings they are all dieing at once ?

Stick with high brand replacements and if you really must, make a note of the date and measure use levels.

Some cheaper brands don't like dimmers very much.

sorry, what i mean is that they have blown, then been replaced, and then blown again 3 weeks later...

Sponsored Links
Where did you buy your new lamps from?

What brand were they, and how much did they cost?

i am assured that they are proper brands as that was the first question I asked.

How much should they cost and what are good brands?

Handling needs to be done with care. Rumour is that finger grease causes hot spots on the lens which makes them blow faster.

It's why some new fittings come with little sucker cups to hold the lamps rather than using your hands / fingers.

A rumour with no basis in fact. The sealed envelope of the typical GU10/MR16 lamp is

a) not quartz, and therefore not at risk of damage from skin oils

b) completely protecting the actual quartz envelope which would be at risk.

The little rubber suckers are so that lamps can be got in and out of close-fitting luminaires.

When the lamp is fitted in a well designed holder the outer envelope of dual envelope lamp does not reach the same high temperature as the inner envelope. But it does get hot and therefore there is still a significant risk of the outer envelope's deterioration being triggered by grease or other contaminates on its surface.

But maybe life times are shorter than we are lead to believe

http://optical-components.globalspe...ptical_components/light_sources/halogen_lamps

provides data about expected life time for halogen lamps.
Lamp Power: Less than 37 watts
Rated Average Life: Less than 225 hours

That's rubbish. We are talking about lamps for domestic applications, not automotive.

All you have to do is to look at a major manufacturer's specifications and you'll find that for the most part TH lamps have a life of 2000 hours or more whatever the power.

Click for Osram

so, assuming that I am using good quality, branded bulbs and handling them properly, can anyone think of a reason why they might have suddenly started blowing in the last few weeks after they have worked for over a year without hitch? many thanks Simon

Inferior technology,they run at a very high temperature, and in a static location get no cooling.
Incandescent lamps far superior, but the EU has decided to take them off us, what happened to freedom of choice?

But it does get hot and therefore there is still a significant risk of the outer envelope's deterioration being triggered by grease or other contaminates on its surface.
The outer envelope is glass, not quartz.

Where, all these years, has been the advice not to touch the envelopes of GLS lamps?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back