Halstead Ace High Pressure Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Any advice would be appreciated please - don't know too much about boilers.

I have a Halstead Ace High boiler, at least 6 years old.

The water pressure on the boiler has been problematic in the past few months and now got to the point where I open the water inlet to top up the pressure in the boiler to 2 bar and it drops away almost immediately. This happens even when the heating is on.

Getting lots of noise in rads when heating kicks in, water gushing through pipes into rads etc. Bleed the rads yesterday and some air came out berore water, which was a bit merky but not black.

Boiler itself is making lots of noises, sounds like it is boiling water or steaming inside the boiler. Then also get suction noises in the boiler randomly.

had british gas out 2-3 times in past 18 months, want to understand for myself whats happening and wheather the boiler is on it's way out.

Also, have low water pressure in general from the mains, would this affect the problem?

Any thoughts would be helpful thanks

Sponsored Links
Firstly you should only set the cold pressure to 1bar. not 2.
When heating is on it should rise to about 2bar.
What I suspect is happening, is that over time the expansion vessel has lost some of its 'air' pre charge.
This means the volume of air is lower than it should be.
The rule is when the volume of air is halved the pressure is doubled.
So instead of going from 1bar to 2bar it goes from 1bar to 4bar, well it would except for the Pressure Relief Valve which is set to 3bar.
Best to search for 'expansion vessel' on this forum or read some of my recent posts on this subject.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back