Halstead BCCs (boiler control chips) - I'm totally baffled

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My Halstead Eden CBX 32 (Natural gas) boiler's PCB failed, so I bought a 2nd hand one taken from a Halstead Eden CBX 24.

This is no problem (or so I thought), because the PCBs for these boilers are all the same (see Halstead part number 988488).

Anyway the second hand CBX 24 PCB came with a CBX 24 NG (natural gas) BCC chip fitted to it (see Halstead part 500682)

My original PCB didn't have a BCC chip fitted to it, so I thought just take the CBX 24 BCC off and it will work.

However, when I switch on the boiler, I get the following error.

The error means Incorrect /missing BCC - replace BCC

Does anybody know what I need to do to get this PCB working in my CBX 32 boiler?

Is it just a case of buying a CBX 32 Natural gas BCC (Halstead part 500690) or is it not possible?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It could be a switch or jumper is needed to be set/unset. Check against the old board, if you're sure the PCB versions are the same.

The chip is required so the PCB knows which appliance it's fitted too. So without this chip the PCB will not progress. More than likely there's been a upgrade to the boards. A new PCB would have a selection of chips supplied with it.

It's been a while since I've worked on a Eden, but generally allot of makers are going down the swappable chip route.

It could be a switch or jumper is needed to be set/unset. Check against the old board, if you're sure the PCB versions are the same.

Thanks for replying, but neither board has any switches on jumpers on it.

Sponsored Links
The chip is required so the PCB knows which appliance it's fitted too. So without this chip the PCB will not progress. More than likely there's been a upgrade to the boards. A new PCB would have a selection of chips supplied with it.

It's been a while since I've worked on a Eden, but generally allot of makers are going down the swappable chip route.

Thanks for your reply.

I think will just buy a CBX 32 NG BCC (halstead part 500690) and see what happens. I can't see why it wouldn't work.

From reading the manual, I recon after fitting a CBX 32 NG BCC

LEDS 1,2,3 will light up, I will then press the reset button and the BCC will marry to the PCB.

Here is the relavent bit from the manual (circled in red)

Have you tried the reset procedure from the Installation instructions ?

a) Press the Reset button. The Reset LED and LED 1 should flash once.
b) Wait approximately 5 seconds, while the control is reprogrammed
and then press the Reset button, to initialise the control.

Yes I've tried that, it just stays like this.

When I buy and fit a CBX 32 NG BCC (halstead part 500690) to the PCB, I recon what you're saying will work. I will report back in a few days after I've ordered one.

Yes I've tried that, it just stays like this.

When I buy and fit a CBX 32 NG BCC (halstead part 500690) to the PCB, I recon what you're saying will work. I will report back in a few days after I've ordered one.

I reckon so too

I am surprised that you expected the PCB to suddenly become a 32 kW pcb when you had removed the 24 kW chip.

My logic tells me that a 32 kW chip is expected.

Some electronic devices can only be programmed ONCE to be another variant!

Let us know how it behaves with a 32 kW chip!

Tony

I am surprised that you expected the PCB to suddenly become a 32 kW pcb when you had removed the 24 kW chip.
Thank for replying.

I expected that, simply because my original Halstead 988488 board had no chip on it. So I assumed without a chip, these boards must default to CBX 32 operation. I'm still confused to be honest, and I have a horrible feeling that, what you say here
Some electronic devices can only be programmed ONCE to be another variant!
might be true.

I will let you know how I get on.

UPDATE:

The Halstead spares catalogue, also seems to imply these boards "default" to CBX 32 NG operation.

The Halstead spares catalogue, also implies there is no such thing a CBX 32 BCC NG. There no entry for part number 500690 in it.

However, loads of companies appear to be selling them, google "Halstead 500690" and you will find them. I'm even more confused now.

It's probably something that's been developed out of necessity, because of the single time programming of the PCB to accept a BCC.

I would buy the chip and fit it, unless you can find a way of detaching the old BCC electronically. Without the proper programmer, though, a way of connecting it up, and knowledge of which part of the EEPROM to change/clear, I doubt you will be able to.

After waiting 3 and a half weeks!! My CBX32 Natural gas boiler control chip finally turned up in the post. (The company I bought it off blamed Halstead for the delay.)

Anyway, I attached it to the PCB and turned on the boiler. As predicted I was presented with this error message.

The error means that the PCB has detected a new BCC has been fitted to the board.

A press of the reset button and the boiler came on normally. Well normally for this boiler, because I still don't have any bloody hot water, which is why I bought another PCB in the first place. See this thread.

//www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/halstead-eden-cbx-32-boiler-no-hot-water-and-lock-out.370892/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back