Halstead Best 50, no hot water...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just installed a new cylinder but, after refilling,have found that the hot water doesn't get hot. Central heating works ok. When hot water is switched on, boiler fires for a few minutes then shuts down. There is no cylinder stat and I can't find any motorised valves :rolleyes:
Any ideas gratefully received, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like an air lock in/around the cylinder coil. Is there way of venting this part of pipe work i.e the open vent or thumb vent ?

Will give it a go, but I did back fill the system (via the drain off- I was under the impression this would eliminate airlocks?)
Thanks

Mike 123 said:
Will give it a go, but I did back fill the system (via the drain off- I was under the impression this would eliminate airlocks?)
Thanks

Unfortunatly not. Still needs appropriate vents in place.

rob

Sponsored Links
Is it just a matter of cutting in a tee with a vent on the flow? Pipework is 28mm and theres not a lot of room.
Thanks again.

If the cylinder is at a 'high' point on the system where you think are could get trapped then it 'should' have a vent.

You say there is not motorised valve is it pumped or gravity?

You could always try and losen one of the union nuts to the coil and it may drip but may also eventually clear the air??

rob884 said:
If the cylinder is at a 'high' point on the system where you think are could get trapped then it 'should' have a vent.

You say there is not motorised valve is it pumped or gravity?

You could always try and losen one of the union nuts to the coil and it may drip but may also eventually clear the air??

House is 2 storey, boiler downstairs in kitchen, cylinder on first floor, f&e in loft. So don't think cylinder is at a high point.
System is pumped.
Will try loosening the unions first.

Original cylinder was 'opposite coil' and for a direct replacement I would have had to wait up to a week. Would this have anything to do with it?
Thanks

I dont know what that is :oops:

But turn rads off i.e by motorised valve or individually, increases pump pressure, then try the venting!

I think its when the flow and return are on opposite sides of the cylinder. Have fitted a cylinder with f&r on the same side, apart from the possibility of my pipework being iffy, would this have any effect?
Thanks.

Pretty obvious i suppose from the name :rolleyes: :oops: . No it should make much difference as long as your pipework isnt doing any silly loops or anything!

Lets us know how you get on ..

rob

Vent at V
VentOnPrimaries.gif

Problem sorted itself over night. Thanks once again for the input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back