No hot water mystery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any help gratefully received... I have an unvented system, tow tow port valves and a pump. when the cylinder thermostat is of (0 degrees) the heating will work. When the cylinder thermostat is turned on the heating switches off ( boiler and pump). There is never in any case any hot water. The motorised port does not move but the pipe gets hot on both sides. The return pipe never gets hot. What is happeneing? Please help.

Sponsored Links
Thanks flameport. I investigated further, removed the port valve to see if I could manually turn the valve screw. It turned freely for several rotations. I pulled it up gently and it blew off spurting warm water everywhere. Should it be able to do this? Do I now need a new valve as well as a motor?

So an update.... I realsied that the actuator arm no longer reached the switch on the port valve and so that would be why it wasnt calling for action. Now it looks like the screw thing on the actual metal valve has been sheared off. So the question is how do I change that port valve? DO i need to drain the system? If so how is this done? Is there anything I need to be aware of...apart from flooding the house!
Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Sponsored Links
Sorry...pictures uploaded. The first is an overall shot showing the two port valves ( the broken one has red electrical tape to stop the screw thing from blowing off again).It is this that needs changing but i do not know how to stop the hot water from being pushed out of the pipe whilst i change the port.

Attachments

• IMG_2098.JPG
    IMG_2098.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2097.JPG
    IMG_2097.JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2096.JPG
    IMG_2096.JPG
    273 KB · Views: 79

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back